Looking for large Graphic LCD possible with touchscreen

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Jon S., Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Jon S.

    Jon S. Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm looking for a large Graphic LCD (Something like 320 × 240 pixels)
    If possible with a touchscreen. A parallel interface should be fine,
    altough a display with build in intelligence (menu's etc) and a serial
    interface could be interesting.

    Most displays i find are for kiosk or point of sale applications, most
    of them with VGA interfaces.

    My application will run on a 8 bit uC so i try to find a real oem
    device.

    Anyone some leads ?

    Thanks.

    Stijn

    Jon S., Jan 22, 2004

  2. I seem to recall there are some nice LCDs with simpler interfaces than
    VGA in the Farnell lineup - check them; even if your're not in a country
    they sell to, you can use their catalogue as a place to find part
    numbers to look up elsewhere :)
    ABS

    Alaric B Snell, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Jon S.

    Alex Pavloff Guest

    We use a Kyocera LCD that 320x200 and a Gunze touchscreen in one of
    our panel products. The LCD uses a normal STN interface, so that may
    or may not work for you.

    They're seperate pieces of equipment, but all you have to do is mount
    the touchscreen yourself, which isn't too bad.

    Alex Pavloff, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Jon S.

    ZO Guest

    ZO, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Look at Amulet products, not the most cost effective for large volumes way
    but definitively a good one if you want to quickly have a working product :

    http://www.amulettechnologies.com/

    Another way will be to directly drive the LCD from a high performance
    microcontroller (like in my own XYPlotter project published in Circuit
    Cellar last year, but you willl need then to redevelop everything from
    scratch...

    Friendly yours,
    Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts
    http://www.alciom.com

    Robert Lacoste, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Jon S.

    onestone Guest

    I've just switched from long term use of a Hyundai HG25501 panel, at
    256x128, which cost me AUS$170 from the local disti, to a panel sourced
    directly from Winstar, the taiwanese manufacturer. Even in my first
    sample buyb of 10 units they wre only US$75 each. These are 320 x 240
    pixel devices, with a built in SED1335 controller, built in -Ve voltage
    supply for contrast, and built in touch screen is available. Check them
    out on the net and see if they have a disti near you. The interface is
    typical SED133x. 8 bit parallel plus 3/4 control lines. They also have a
    nice colour panel with the same dimensions, no controller, but they sell
    the panel for around US$80, and a SED1375 based controller for it for
    US$50. Once again touch screen is available.

    Cheers

    Al

    onestone, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Jon S.

    Jon S. Guest

    This is the kind of technology i was looking for. My quantity's will
    be around 10+ anually, so i think this make sense. It seems that this
    product will speed up my development for sure.

    Thanks to all for the reply's and usefull info.

    Stijn

    Jon S., Jan 24, 2004
  8. What about a $50 PDA with 240x240 at 16 grey levels and touch screen,
    www.zexus.com.hk? How the hell do they do that...?

    Clifford Heath, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Jon S.

    Rick Merrill Guest

    hk::= hong kong - so I suppose they do that by paying virtually zero
    labor costs, hmm?

    Rick Merrill, Jan 30, 2004
  10. Jon S.

    Uday Godbole Guest

    How does one use a PDA as a display for a microcontroller? Are PDA displays
    available commercially for this purpose? Do they have their own graphics
    controllers and RAM?

    Uday

    Uday Godbole, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Write an app for the PDA (using gcc) that talks, say, RS-232,
    interpreting some screen I/O commands, store it in flash, and
    talk to it from an RS-232 port on the uC.
    No idea, probably, but not at that price :)
    The PDAs do :).

    Clifford Heath, Feb 4, 2004