Looking for memory for new Sony VAIO PCG-GRT360ZG laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Tim Mavers, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Tim Mavers

    Tim Mavers Guest

    I just purchased a new Sony VAIO Laptop (model PCG-GRT360ZG) and am
    looking to upgrade the memory (it came with 512MB, not sure what
    configuration).

    It is supposed to be upgradable to 2GB which I would like to do. Again,
    I haven't looked inside the memory compartment, so I am not sure if
    there are 2 or 4 slots, but regardless, I will buy the chips that are
    needed (if they exist).

    I haven't been able to find them at either Sony or Crucial. Crucial is
    where I have bought laptop memory in the past, and I am pretty picky
    about where I get memory (I really only want name-brand so I know what I
    am getting).

    Any ideas where I can find memory for this laptop? I bought it at Best
    Buy so take this for what it is worth, but the sales guy said that this
    is a brand new model so it might be a month or so until companies start
    carrying memory for it--at the time, Best Buy didn't even have the
    laptop listed on their site, so I at least tend to believe him in that
    this is a brand new model.

    All I know is that the memory is DDR.

    Thanks for any help.

    Tim

    Tim Mavers, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Tim Mavers

    Dan Koren Guest

    There are two memory slots that are easily accessible by removing
    a small plate on the bottom of the unit. You will need a precision
    screwdriver (check www.wihatools.com) and you have to be extremely
    careful, since the screws are so tiny they are almost invisible.

    If your laptop came with 512MB it has either a single 512MB stick
    or 2 x 256MB sticks (less likely).

    To upgrade to 2GB you need two (2) 1GB DDR333 (PC2700) 200-pin
    SODIMM sticks.

    The painful part is that 1GB SODIMM's are more than 4 times more
    expensive than the 512MB parts, so this little project may set
    you back $800-$900 as each stick costs $400-$450 (compared with
    $100 for a 512MB stick).

    This will do it:

    http://www.memoryx.net/xdp1024.html

    I buy memory from MemoryX since they have good prices and
    prompt service.

    Hope this helps.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Tim Mavers

    Dan Koren Guest

    Then you must know you get ripped off.

    "Name brand" is meaningless when it
    comes to memory -- all vendors use
    more or less the same chips.

    I buy "generic" SwissBit memory from
    MemoryX, and the tests reveal it uses
    the same Infineon (Siemens) chips that
    IBM and Fujitsu sell at 4x higher price.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Tim Mavers

    Tim Mavers Guest

    Thanks for your reply, I will check out MemoryX. When I wrote that I
    usually stick to name-brand memory, it was mainly because of past
    experience with other less-known memory dealers. While I totally
    understand that memory chips are made by only a few companies (compared
    to the number of companies branding them), the main concern I have with
    smaller outfits is you never know what you are going to get.

    What I mean by that is, I have bought memory from smaller suppliers
    where the chips on each board were by different manufacturers, this is
    what I want to avoid as there are usually compatibility problems (which
    are very hard to pinpoint--strange crashes, slower performance, etc.)

    By agreeing to pay a little more (or as you put it "getting ripped
    off"), I at least can rest assured that the memory I get is paired
    correctly and more importantly, I know exactly what I am gettting.

    You mentioned you buy generic memory you got Infineon, that's great. If
    they can always ship Infineon (or something known) I would be glad to
    buy from them, but when they say "we get all kinds it and it's not known
    at the time of order", like other places have told me, I get a little
    worried.

    Again, thanks for your reply, I will definitely check them out.

    Tim

    Tim Mavers, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Tim Mavers

    Dan Koren Guest

    MemoryX is one of the most serious memory suppliers in
    Silicon Valley. They are very knowledgeable, and as far
    as I know, most of the products they sell are backed by
    lifetime warranties and by a no questions asked return
    policy.

    As a side comment, let me mention I have been working in
    the computer industry for close to 30 years, and I never
    accept any compromises in the quality of the components I
    use or recommend. If it is good enough for my own projects,
    you can bet your money to the bank it is good enough for
    everyone else's.

    Incidentally, all the SwissBit SODIMM modules I bought so
    far from MemoryX have turned out to use Infineon chips. I
    have not experienced any problems with them, and I have
    even installed 2GB in an older Sony GRX that was only
    supposed to accept up to 1GB!

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 25, 2004