    Will this be a decent upgrade from a GeForce4 or should I aim higher?

    Thanks for any useful replies.
    Dave.

    Dave, Apr 26, 2005

  2. I went from a PNY 5900XT to a PNY 6800GT. Like night and day. If you can get
    a 6800GT you will be more happyer. Lots of hight resolutions with this
    card.Much more speed too.

    Phil DeNapoli, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Dave

    Neil J Bundy Guest

    I went from an MSI GF4Ti4400 to a Galaxy AGP 6600GT.

    As the other poster mentioned, it is like Night & Day with the eye candy
    turned up and higher res but keeping the nice fast frame rates.

    Rest of my system is an Abit AN7uGuru, Athlon 3200+ Barton, 2 x 512MB
    matched Corsair XMS CAS2 DDR3200, 2 x DVDRWs, 2 x HDDs (1 Sata 1 IDE
    with SATA converter).

    Depends on where your system bottlenecks are going to be as to whether
    looking at 6800GTs would benefit you significantly more at the moment -
    also depends on what money you want to spend.

    To reflect on an imminent film, HHGTG, Zaphod Beeblebrox would buy an
    Infinite Improbability Drive and then go back and spend the same money
    on a 6800 Ultra, then go back and spend the same money on another 6800
    Ultra, ald SLI them, but us humans don't have that luxury..... :)

    If you want bang per buck/pound, go for the 6800GT, I would suggest
    either BFG or Galaxy, both are fast out of the box and have good
    reliability reports in this NG, but not XFX if you go by comments again
    on this NG, though they're all individuals' opinions at the end of the
    day...

    Good luck whatever you decide.

    Neil.

    Neil J Bundy, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Yes,i wouldn't mind a 6800GT but i can't afford that(it's twice the
    price)......

    I assume the 6600GT is gonna be faster than my Geforce4 though???

    Dave, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    thanks Neil

    Dave, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Dave

    McGrandpa Guest

    I hear it is an upgrade for the GF4's. I had been using several
    different vid cards lately. FX5900, 9800 Pro and Ti4600. I can't speak
    for the 6600GT's, but the 6800 GT is a whopping improvment over all my
    older cards :) You don't just get they eye candy, you get it NOW :)
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Apr 26, 2005
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ok,i'm convinced.
    It'll probably be worth getting the 6800GT then.
    I like the Galaxy version,so that'll probably be the one.

    Dave, Apr 27, 2005