Looking for notebook with QUIET fan

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Howard Stokar, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Any suggestions for PC format?

    Howard

    Howard Stokar, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Howard Stokar

    Rod Guest

    Asus M2000N?

    Rod, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Centrino over Celeron/P4, but will cost more.

    The problem with many current laptops is the fan runs continually,
    and doing a heavy pdf download or such will send the fan to 100%.
    That can really be astonishingly noisy - such that you just sit and
    wait for the thing to quieten down again if in a relatively quiet room.

    Also realise quiet fan or not, they run pretty hot :)
    Using a pad between you and the laptop will keep your heat out of it.

    Dorothy Bradbury, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Howard Stokar

    David Chien Guest

    Sony X505 - no fan at all!

    David Chien, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Howard Stokar

    Default Guest

    I never realised laptops were noisy at all..? Am I wrong?

    Default, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Howard Stokar

    David Chien Guest

    I never realised laptops were noisy at all..? Am I wrong?

    some fans on some notebooks are like a mini-hairdryer once they get
    going. Loud enough to make listening to music or watching DVDs annoying...

    David Chien, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Howard Stokar

    E Brown Guest

    Yep, somewhat. Some of the Sonys I've had sound like a mini jet
    engine when the fan started up - easily heard *across* a room, and not
    a particularly quiet room at that. Lots of other brands have similar
    noise problems, especially those laptops with desktop chips; some of
    those have/had 2 fans in them.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Howard Stokar

    Gray Beard Guest

    :>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:13:34 GMT, "Default"
    :>
    :>>Howard Stokar wrote:
    :>>> Any suggestions for PC format?
    :>>>
    :>>> Howard
    :>>
    :>>
    :>>I never realised laptops were noisy at all..? Am I wrong?
    :>>
    :> Yep, somewhat. Some of the Sonys I've had sound like a mini jet
    :>engine when the fan started up - easily heard *across* a room, and not
    :>a particularly quiet room at that. Lots of other brands have similar
    :>noise problems, especially those laptops with desktop chips; some of
    :>those have/had 2 fans in them.
    :> Emanuel

    The Compal/Toshiba P25 has THREE CPU fans!! Hey, but it's got a 17" wide
    screen display. :)

    Gray

    Gray Beard, Feb 28, 2004