    Looking to finally add a serial port output to my system. Do not want to
    use a USB to Serial adapter. Have tried to google and just went around
    in circles. Tried Newegg, about the same, unless I want to order from AU.

    robby, Jun 9, 2012

  2. Why not use a pcie to serial adaptor?
    They work great. Get a pcie 1x or 4x.

    Paul in Houston TX, Jun 9, 2012

  3. robby

    Paul Guest

    They come in "two flavors".

    AT/Everex
    http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

    DTK
    http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm

    So you need to know what the company uses as their "defacto"
    standard, before purchasing one. And the companies can
    either admit to the wiring pattern, by documenting
    it in the manual, or keeping it a "secret" so people
    have to test manually and figure it out.

    If the Gigabyte manual has a table, you can compare it
    to a page like this one. In a past exercise of this type,
    Gigabyte may have been AT/Everex as well.

    http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2.html

    If you buy one of each, you're bound to get it right
    eventually. I'd connect up a candidate, then connect
    a multimeter (an analog one is best) to the Transmit
    pin, use Hyperterm and send a few characters, and
    see if the Transmit pin makes the analog meter "jump"
    a bit. That's how I'd verify I had the correct adapter
    plate connected. This guy did something similar.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20100402203328/http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html

    If you use a digital multimeter to detect a "jump",
    it may take many tries until the meter reading deflects.
    The analog meter, a twitch is easier to see.

    To make the voltage jump more visible, you can try dropping
    the serial port rate. Hyperterm, when you set up a connection,
    allows you to set the baud rate. Or, in a command prompt window,
    something along these lines can set the baud rate. You can
    then send stuff to com1 in the command prompt window.
    You could try dropping to 110 baud for example.

    mode com1: 9600,8,n,1

    copy file.txt com1

    In Linux, it would be something like "setserial".

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 9, 2012
  4. robby

    robby Guest

    Been down that road before, re the card. At present I run 4 versions of
    Linux on this box. The MB has no parallel port. So I tried a pci bus card,
    which allegedly would run on Windows or Linux. The drivers for Linux would
    not work as they were verrry out of date and the provider would NOT answer
    any questions. Ended up buying a cheap USB to Parallel Cable, and have had
    no problems.

    I had rather try to get the cable listed in the manual so I can just plug into the
    MB serial port header and go from there.

    Thanks Paul

    robby, Jun 10, 2012
  5. robby

    Paul Guest

    From the manual. SIN = RX, SOUT = TX. The signal names were likely
    copied right out of the schematic, without being "beautified" by
    the tech writer.

    Pin No. Definition
    1 NDCD-
    2 NSIN
    3 NSOUT
    4 NDTR-
    5 GND
    6 NDSR-
    7 NRTS-
    8 NCTS-
    9 NRI-
    10 No Pin

    That seems to match the FrontX link above.
    So it's probably an AT-Everex.

    Since I've stared at those stupid diagrams many times,
    and got it wrong in the past, do your best to verify
    before buying. If you can find a cheap source for the
    adapters, and shipping is more than the adapters cost,
    then buying some of each will help cover your bets.

    *******

    Trivia section.

    Note that, in addition to there being at least two different
    types of 2x5 based adapter plates, RS232 has DTE and DCE.
    (Computer has one role, modem has the other role.)
    Any time I work on this stuff, I have to go back and verify
    "what exactly do they put on the back of computers" :) I
    think it's DTE, but again, you'd want to verify that.
    In the early days of building systems, we managed to make
    boxes with both, which led to lots of adventures in the
    lab. We even managed to provide "hard power" on one of
    our serial port pins (one of my bosses probably thought
    that was clever), and if the ground on a cable bumped
    up against that connector, sometimes it would draw a spark :)
    Good times.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 10, 2012
  6. robby

    robby Guest

    My first "System" was a Japanese import by the name of IBEX.. 64 Kbytes of memory
    running at an unbelieveable 2.5 Mhz. Two 8 inch DSDD floppy drives + 10 MByte
    HDD. To add a Hayes Smartmodem I had to program the UARTs in binary..
    Manual was in three 2.5 inch ring binders, all xerox copies with english translation
    scribbled in prior to copying. Oh yea, CP/M... and WordStar, SpellStar, etc.

    That was around 1983.

    Since 1991 All my systems were Home Built. First built system had Windoze for workgroups 3.1

    This one has Ubuntu Lucid, Mint 11, Mint LMDE, and Mint 13 (MATE)

    robby

    robby, Jun 14, 2012