looking for single-board computer with SPI slave port

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Jason S, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. Jason S

    Jason S Guest

    I am looking for a reputable single-board computer or development board
    kit that has these features. any suggestions?

    * can act as a SPI (synchronous serial port) slave with clock frequency
    anywhere in the 5-12MHz range & has some kind of FIFO (so I don't have
    to handle an interrupt for each incoming byte/word). This is the most
    important requirement & I'm having a hard time finding docs on
    single-board computers that meet it.

    * has >= 16MB RAM onboard

    * has SD card slot (compact flash acceptible but less preferable) &
    cards are hot-pluggable

    * has either an ethernet jack and/or USB device (fullspeed or
    highspeed) jack. USB probably preferable; I want to plug this thing
    into a PC to exchange data.

    * has some kind of external address/data bus that I can hook up a few
    things on a small daughterboard

    * is likely to be around for at least 5 years

    * has a decent software development environment that's not outrageously
    expensive. Would prefer no OS or a simple RTOS, not WinCE.

    * real-time-clock is a very-nice-to-have but I can probably live
    without it.

    * RS232 UART is a very-nice-to-have but I can probably live without it.

    I've been looking at some PXA270 single-board computers, they seem like
    they might a good fit, but can't find the documentation on whether it
    can handle my SPI slave requirement. TI 5509A DSP evaluation board also
    looks ok, and I'm familiar with Code Composer as the IDE, but my only
    reservation is that it forces me to use USB (no ethernet, no UART
    unless I put one on a daughterboard & connect it to CPU via parallel
    interface).

    Jason S, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Jason S

    larwe Guest

    Almost certainly will not meet your 5 year availability requirement.

    Considered rolling something semi-custom out of an FPGA?

    larwe, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Robert Lacoste, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Robert Lacoste, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Try the www.iotech.dk Webnet module.
    It includes
    AT91RM9200
    SDRAM
    Flash
    Ethernet
    USB slave support (full speed)
    SDcard support
    The SPI slave has neother FIFO nor DMA support.
    Xilinx FPGA.
    Runs Linux (and will certainly run many RTOS or bare machine)

    You can implement the SPI slave in the FPGA:

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Jason S

    Jason S Guest

    huh, funny you should mention that... I just found out my officemate is
    working on a project (which has part purchasing lifetime requirements
    more important than mine) using their PXA270 boards, I'll probably end
    up going that route. SPI slave support seems to be ok up to 13MHz which
    will probably work for me, now I just have to find out what they
    offer/need for SPI framing signals.
    urk. I have essentially no resources; I need something I can buy and
    spend my effort solely on software development. if I am lucky enough to
    get help spinning a hardware board it would be for a small
    daughterboard with a parallel DAC on it.

    Jason S, Jul 13, 2006
  7. Jason S

    Travis Hayes Guest

    * requirements snipped *

    The requirements you list don't seem to require a whole SBC. I can think of
    a few microcontrollers that would do this with a little work. Are you
    looking for something off the shelf simply because it's a one-off project or
    a prototype of some kind?

    What does it need to do besides move bytes between the SPI port and the
    memory?
    Would you be interested in having something custom made? What quantities
    and schedule do you have?

    -Regards,

    Travis

    Travis Hayes, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Jason S

    Jason S Guest

    Has anyone out there used the Toradex Colibri module?

    Jason S, Jul 24, 2006