    for? Drop me a line!

    Thanks all,
    John.

    John, Jul 28, 2003

  2. It sounds like a tablet PC is what your after. There has been a big
    to-do about tablets recently but they have been around for years. If you
    search for "tablet PC" on ebay.com you will be surprised how many the
    are. From 486's from as little as $30 right up to the latest offerings
    going for over a thousand dollars...

    ©¿©¬
    ~

    http://www.31337.pl/

    I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind...

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish/index.html

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Jul 28, 2003

  3. The Digital Hinote Ultra II would be a candidate. You can find
    them used from several sources. I have a few refurbished units with
    car adapters.
    Digital Equipment Corp. was at one time the second largest
    computer company. They made mostly larger systems, but had excellent
    laptops. Their technology was good enough that Intel had to settle
    with them on patent infringement. DEC was bought by Compaq several
    years ago, which was bought by HP more recently.
    The Ultra II had 100 mhz to 150 mhz processors. It was light and
    only about an inch thick when closed. The LCDs were 10 inch.

    Gary Reichlinger, Jul 28, 2003
  4. John

    eMeL Guest

    Look for an used Sony SRX series (77, 88, etc.) These are really small although not
    that great in terms of build quality.

    Also, Fujitsu has a good sale on P2000 laptops (small, nice, cheap.)
    http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2

    Toshiba Protégé and many current Sony and Panasonic machines are also an option, but
    are pricey!
    Check out the Toshiba web site and www.dynamism.com

    eMeL, Jul 28, 2003
  5. John

    Ray Jenkins Guest

    I have several Toshiba Satellite T1960C laptops which are still in pretty
    good working condition. These are 10 years old, and don't have a CD-ROM.

    I could customize one for you for appx $60, including shipping, if you think
    this would serve your needs.

    Basically, it's a great little typewriter with a 9" screen. I can also put
    in MS-WORKS.

    It is good for using Juno's free e-mail set-up and will take AOL 3.0, for
    the most minimal use of the Internet.

    -- Ray

    Ray Jenkins, Jul 28, 2003
  6. I'm not sure what part of the world you're from, but, I've bought 2 Toshiba
    Librettos, one is a 70ct, 120MMX Pentium, 640x480 on a 6.1 in. screen, the
    other is a 100ct 166MMX Pentium, 800x480 on a 7.1 in. screen.

    They can be on eBay for $200-300. Depends on configuration, included
    accesories, etc.

    I'm in the US by the way.
    Thanks for the suggestions all.

    I did think about most of these suggstions before and here's what I came
    up with:

    1. Regarding PDAs

    Screen size is small and resolution is low too, 320x320 for the best
    Palm, meaning not much of a map can be displayed

    2. Web tablets

    These are insanely expensive (anything that's relatively new, with
    something better than a 486) and still surprisingly pretty bulky.

    3. Small new portables

    Too expensive! I don't want to spend $1k on a laptop that will
    essentially sit in my car...I was looking for something cheaper (and
    cheaper is less than $300)

    For those who have anything to sell, CPU must be a Pentium 133MHz or
    faster and the LCD must be TFT.

    Thanks,
    John.

    Rick Gonzalez, Jul 29, 2003
  7. John

    Me Guest

    Be carefull though, those olf P166 and P133 laptops were less likely yo have
    a tft display and even the ones with a tft are not as bright an newer ones.

    Me, Jul 29, 2003
  8. John

    Vincent Fox Guest

    I use a ThinkPad 560X, leave a mini-dock in the car for it.
    Okay, still not perfect but better than the 760XD by far.

    Ideal would be a Fujitsu P1000 or 2000, those things are SWEET
    particularly the touch-screen models. Not cheap though.

    Vincent Fox, Jul 29, 2003