    one hope that the FX 8170 will put the fear of God into Intel. Some day, I
    suspect AMD will come forward with something that will do it, the only
    question to be resolved is when they will finally do it.

    Ben Williams, Mar 23, 2012

  2. Ben Williams

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    What speed do you expect an FX-8170 to run at? Why is an 8150 (base
    speed 3600MHz) not sufficient compared to a PhII 955 (which runs at
    3200MHz)?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 23, 2012

  3. Ben Williams

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Here's some speculated information about it:

    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-8170.html

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 23, 2012
  4. Ben Williams

    rms Guest

    Folks, I know that this post is probably asking for the trolls to pop up,
    but I figure I'll post it anyways. I am running on a Phenom II X4 955. I
    want to upgrade, but I am waiting for the FX 8170 to appear...

    Firstly, do you have an AM3+ mobo? Secondly, I've had both the x4 & now
    the x6, both oc'd to 4ghz, and am sure the gaming bottleneck in my system is
    not the cpu, but the videocard (a gtx 470). So, my advice is, get one of
    the large but cheaper cpu heatsinks, overclock as much as possible, consider
    upgrading the videocard instead of the cpu (I'd suggest a Radeon 7950/GTX
    570/GTX 670(not released yet)), consider a SSD purchase, and wait for the
    nextgen AMD cpus to arrive, not Bulldozer refreshes.

    rms

    rms, Apr 2, 2012
  5. Ben Williams

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I've done quite a few little upgrades over the past year, first it was
    the CPU, where I went from an Phenom II X3 to an X6. Then I upgraded my
    old 8600GT to an HD 6870. And most recently I upgraded to an SSD. The
    SSD seems to be the one that's most perceivable performance improvement
    overall. My Windows 7 Experience number is now sitting at 7.5 out of
    7.9, and it was previously sitting at 5.9, mainly due to the hard drive.

    I'm not sure what games you're playing, and what kind of a monitor
    layout you have (do you have multi-monitors?), but it seems a GTX 470
    should be still quite outstanding for most games.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 2, 2012
  6. Ben Williams

    Ben Williams Guest

    Yes, I have an AM3+ motherboard, and my graphics card is an XFX Radeon HD
    5770. Any ideas as to how limited this would make my gaming experience? To
    put it frankly, if I cannot justify the $400+ cost of a new GPU, I won't do
    it. At the end of the day, I want something that will make me competitive,
    but not make my wallet cry for mercy.

    Ben Williams, Apr 3, 2012
  7. Ben Williams

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    You could possibly upgrade to a 6800-series for less than $200, and to a
    7800-series for a little over $200. They should both be slight upgrades
    to your 5700-series. But are you looking for a huge upgrade over what
    you have now?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 3, 2012
  8. Ben Williams

    rms Guest

    Yes, I have an AM3+ motherboard, and my graphics card is an XFX Radeon HD
    5770. Any ideas as to how limited this would make my gaming experience?

    All I'm saying is look beyond the cpu to improve your gaming experience.
    For me, buying a big cheap 28" 1900x1200 lcd monitor for $220 a couple years
    ago gave more enjoyment than any other upgrade I've ever installed, but
    running games at native resolution meant a new videocard, in my case a gtx
    465 bios-modded to a 470. Great card, but showing it's age for the newest
    games like BF3/Skyrim/Metro2033, which would have to be run at lower
    resolutions, etc.

    There's no requirement to even buy new! Newegg.com has a refurbished
    GTX 560 with 1yr warranty for $160, or a GTX 560Ti for $220, & both Newegg &
    Tigerdirect have 27-28" monitors in the $250 range. A 560Ti is roughly
    equal to 2 radeon 5770 in crossfire. So $500 would give you a dramatic,
    immediately obvious improvement in your gaming experience.

    rms

    rms, Apr 4, 2012
  9. Ben Williams

    rms Guest