    labelled P8 loose. Is this supposed to be plugged into something? I in
    the process of pulling out all my cards and reseating them (without
    the firewire one) Anybody got some advice?

    jetorbit, Jun 5, 2004

  2. jetorbit

    Aaron Guest

    Power supply cables are usually labled P1, P2, etc. I don't know
    where one could come from that would cause such problems, certainly
    not optical drive, etc. I don't think you are dealing with the
    motherboard cable (20-odd pins) either, because I have only ever seen
    that labled P1. Maybe that cable was never plugged in. Often there
    are one or two PS cable left over.

    You might want to check your CPU fan. If that is not operational,
    then I think what you described would happen. One last thing, it
    isn't reading from harddrives or anything, is it? If so, then it
    would probably be video card problem. But if it doesn't make any
    noises, we'll forget about that.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 5, 2004

  3. jetorbit

    jetorbit Guest

    I now know that it's a power supply, but to what? Dont know where on
    the motherboard it connects to. It's a HP Pavilion 8637.

    jetorbit, Jun 6, 2004
  4. jetorbit

    Aaron Guest

    What does the plug on it look like? Does it have 4 connectors on it?
    If so, then it probably wasn't used, as there are usually a few extra
    of these.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 6, 2004
  5. jetorbit

    RWL Guest

    It's been awhile since I looked at an old AT motherboard, but I'm
    suspecting you've got a power supply with both AT and ATX motherboard
    connectors. P7 and P8 were the two connectors for an AT board IIRC.
    That loose connector probably hadn't been connected to anything.

    RWL

    ******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

    RWL, Jun 7, 2004
  6. jetorbit

    Jim Phelps Guest

    Hi, Newer power supplies have a small square connector with 4 wires.
    It's for mother boards that have a matching connector to supply the
    processor. It is connected to the +5 and +12 at the same place in the
    power supply as the normal ones. It's to beat the IR losses in the
    main connectors. Most MBs I have seen have the MB 4 pin connector
    connected to the main connector on the board so they don't really
    have to have the 4 pin connector. Looks like the Mother board
    engineers don't agree with the Power supply engineers. A newer PS may
    also have both AT and ATX connectors. Jim

    Jim Phelps, Jun 7, 2004