Losing time when watching videos fullscreen on my old CRT TV.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    How come my PC/Windows' clock loses a few seconds per minute (seems to
    pause about every four or five seconds for about a half of a second)
    when I use CRT TV clone and watching videos fullscreen on my old 20" CRT
    TV (from 1996)? If I am not watching videos on it or use single display
    mode to my DVI/VGA 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024) with videos, then I have
    no problems.

    I used ATI Catalyst suite display drivers (v9.7 and v10.12) to clone to
    my old 20" CRT TV to show videos fullscreen. I am using an old updated
    Windows XP Pro. SP3, 2+ years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB of
    RAM), Intel quad-core systems, etc.

    What's up with that and how do I fix it? Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "He was a musical ant. He was there for the song." --Rick (Rick Moranis
    episode from The Muppets)

    Ant, Feb 17, 2011

  2. Ant

    PhxGrunge Guest

    Running a video will not affect the time. Time is kept through the bios
    only. Windows reports only the time kept in the bios.
    While running, the power supply is responsibe with providing a constant 3.3
    V to the bios.

    Check your bios battery, but doubt that is the problem.

    More likely your power supply is being stressed too far while running a
    videl causing the 3.3 V line to drop.

    PhxGrunge, Feb 17, 2011

  3. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.
    Hmm, I used two different CPUs, motherboards, batteries, and PSUs
    already. Even if it was the battery, doesn't the PC use PSU for power? I
    don't have time losses when the PC is off for a long time (e.g., all
    day).

    Is that stress same as playing computer games, running benchmarks, etc.?
    If so, then I have not seen any time losses. It only happens with
    fullscreen video to my TV.
    --
    Quote of the Week: "I once heard the survivors of a colony of ants that
    had been partially obliterated by a cow's foot seriously debating the

    Ant, Feb 18, 2011
  4. Ant

    PhxGrunge Guest

    Then, the video card is pulling too much power when the secondary display is
    used.

    Running a computer card, if secondary is not on, will not stress the
    secondary output on the video card.
    Same when running computer games.

    Does sound like a flaw in the video card using too much 3.3 V power that is
    affecting the bios timekeeping.

    Does Windows eventually correct the time after a few minutes after shutting
    off the secondary display (TV)?
    Could be a clone code problem, but bet on the video card itself.

    PhxGrunge, Feb 18, 2011
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hmm, I already tried two different good brand PSUs (600 watts SeaSonic
    S12 and Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire
    Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC) too.

    Hmm. I never had this problem with NVIDIA GeForce video cards (7950 GT
    KO was the last one) before NVIDIA decided to yank the fullscreen video
    overlay feature out of its newer drivers to force me to go to an ATI
    video card over two years ago. :(

    Yes, if Internet time synchronizes with a NTP server and does not time out.

    Is it all ATI video cards or just the one I had for over two years? It
    is a MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB (S-video+composite cables
    and adapter connected to Toshiba W-627 VCR to a January 1996 20" Sharp
    CRT TV). You can see more of my current primary computer specifications
    on http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt ...
    --
    "The shadows now so long do grow,... That brambles like tall cedars
    show,... Molehills seem mountains, and the ant... Appears a monstrous

    Ant, Feb 19, 2011