    Any advice appreciated. IBM says it could cost over $100 up to $500 dollars
    to reset or replace.

    Thanks!

    Orbit8, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Orbit8

    GomJabbar Guest

    GomJabbar, Jun 8, 2005

  3. But I can't remember if that also allows you to reset the Supervisor
    password which I think is the one that is needed when you try to get into
    the BIOS .

    Dave

    David C. Partridge, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Orbit8

    GomJabbar Guest

    I'm not familiar with the ThinkPad 1400 i series, but in general with
    ThinkPads, you CAN remove the POWER ON password (if you don't know it).
    On the other hand, the Supervisor and Hard Drive passwords must be
    known to be removed. If you need the Supervisor password and don't
    have it, you need a new system board. If you need the Hard Drive
    password and don't have it - I believe you need a new hard drive,
    although perhaps one could repartition and reformat the hard drive, but
    it would probably require a non-IBM laptop to do this. I really don't
    know. I have never set the Supervisor or Hard Drive passwords on my
    laptops - only the Power On password. I did remove a Power On password
    on a ThinkPad 600E once.

    Note: If the Supervisor Password is set, you need that password to get
    into the BIOS. I know a Power On password will prevent you from
    booting up, but I can't recall if it prevents you from entering the
    BIOS.

    GomJabbar, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Orbit8

    Orbit8 Guest