    I bought a Samsung laptop because it has a matt screen, not a glossy
    one. I was very happy to find I could turn the touchpad off in the
    BIOS. :)

    Simon Jones, Jun 16, 2011

  2. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Thanks, that's good to know. I should be able to look more into touchpad next
    week.

    Adam, Jun 16, 2011

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Many thanks, will be trying the following ...

    How to Disable the Elantech Touchpad on a Asus Laptop

    next week after system shutdown.

    Adam, Jun 16, 2011
  4. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    It is a P580-JS01 (IIRC) classed as a business machine, everything
    (except the nvidia card) works flawlessly in linux, the video card
    needs the proprietry driver to work properly but I just had to agree
    to accept the terms and wait while it was downloaded. :)

    Simon Jones, Jun 17, 2011
  5. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    No captions! :-( I am guessing it is an option though. Let us know if
    it works please.

    Simon Jones, Jun 17, 2011
  6. Adam

    RnR Guest

    Just to be sure it's not your firewall, disable the firewall
    temporarily to see if that helps.

    RnR, Jun 20, 2011
  7. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Thanks, but it's not the firewall.

    Adam, Jun 20, 2011
  8. Adam

    RnR Guest

    I didn't read the entire thread so I may duplicate here... if you
    noticed this recently, try to restore from a restore point.

    RnR, Jun 20, 2011
  9. Adam

    RnR Guest

    I just realized you didn't post to a windows newsgroup so I don't know
    if you have restore points. If not, ignor my post.... sorry.

    RnR, Jun 20, 2011
  10. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Done!! Successfully disabled touchpad via BIOS.
    And, no more turning on the scroll feature by accident. Yes!!

    Question about wireless connectivity though ...

    Is there a way to setup my system such that
    1) connectivity is mutually exclusive
    [either wired or wireless connectivity; not both;
    having both messed up my network once]
    2) when wired connectivity is available, wireless is automatically disabled
    3) when wired connectivity is "not" available, wireless is automatically
    enabled

    Would be nice to have some connectivity intelligence setup in order to
    avoid having to manually enable/disable wireless connectivity.

    Adam, Jun 20, 2011
  11. Adam

    Andy Guest

    Yes. This is achieved by plugging/unplugging your ethernet cable, and
    having your wireless configured properly.

    NetworkManager deals with the rest.

    Andy, Jun 20, 2011
  12. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    You think Linux users don't do backups? ;-)

    Simon Jones, Jun 21, 2011
  13. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    Isn't this how it works now? I take my laptop to work, the wireless is
    unavailable, plug in the CAT5 cable and it switches on its own.

    Simon Jones, Jun 21, 2011
  14. Adam

    Andy Guest

    Yes.

    Andy, Jun 21, 2011
  15. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Jun 21, 2011
  16. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Jun 21, 2011
  17. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    Simon Jones, Jun 22, 2011
  18. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Jun 22, 2011
  19. Adam

    Simon Jones Guest

    So is it windows or ubuntu that is causing problems?

    Simon Jones, Jun 22, 2011
  20. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Oops! You're right. Forgot to include Windows newsgroup. Thanks!

    The problem is likely with Windows but I'm not sure.

    Adam, Jun 22, 2011