Low cost OTS embedded computer with Etherrnet and discrete I/O?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by chrisaotto, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. chrisaotto

    chrisaotto Guest

    I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O
    capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

    I need something in a box / mechanical enclosure ready to use in an
    industrial setting. The application is simple, not very processor
    intensive, process some inputs and transmit an IP / Ethernet packet;
    receive a packet and drive some outputs. Unfortunately it is very
    custom application. I either need a powerful scripting interface or
    the ability to write my own application. I would prefer not design any
    custom hardware or mechanicals as the quantity does not justify it. If
    I could find a platform to both develop and ship it in, that would be
    great.

    Does anyone know of a product that would fit this niche? Any help is
    appreciated.

    --Chris

    chrisaotto, Aug 23, 2005

  2. chrisaotto

    Gerard Guest

    Chriss,

    - How many inputs and outputs?
    - What kind of inputs and outputs?

    Gerard

    Gerard, Aug 23, 2005

  3. chrisaotto

    steph Guest

    a écrit :
    Hi, I was searching the same thing myself, as my budget is very low :(

    I found the NSLU2 from linksys, which is an ideal platform.
    It is an embedded linux system, with two USB2 ports, at 480mbs, and a
    10/100 ethernet port, and a serial port (onboard 4 points connector).
    the processor is a IXP420 at 133MHz, which is basically an ARM Xscale
    compatible processor, with some extensions.. (can be overclocked to
    266MHz , just by removing a resistor), and it runs LINUX. It as 32MB of
    sdram, and 8MB of flash in standard.
    There are a lot of developpement around this little embedded system,
    search for "NSLU2 linux" on google ..
    see this page --->
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

    It is a network storage appliance basically, to share multiple USB2
    hardrives via ethernet network.. it only cost around 80euros, (~ 90 USD)
    at this price, it is unbeatable :)

    The last linux kernel 2.6.11.2 and 2.6.12 are working on it, so every
    USB2 devices that kernel 2.6.12 supports, are working on it :)
    Webcams, usb drive, DVB receiver, wifi cards, USB2 vga cards, and
    everything that linux kernel as driver for ...

    If you nead more IO pins, you can juste add a homemade extension card,
    with a FT245 for example, or any USB to parallel IO usb chips...

    like we say in French... "Que demande le peuple !!!"

    bye...
    CECCHINEL S.

    steph, Aug 23, 2005
  4. chrisaotto

    gooch Guest

    Check out freescale.com. They have a good selection of microprocessors
    ranging from simple 8-bit to 32-bit. They also have many development
    platforms that include the peripherals you are looking for.

    gooch, Aug 23, 2005
  5. wrote:
    : I am looking for a low-cost computer platform with discrete I/O
    : capabilitiy and an Ethernet interface.

    http://developer.axis.com/

    Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    -Robert Anson Heinlein

    Geir Frode Raanes Sørensen, Aug 23, 2005
  6. chrisaotto

    cs_posting Guest

    Yes, the MC9S12NE64 Demo Board would probably do what you need. No
    shame in shipping demo boards inside an enclosure - if you ever get up
    the volume, you can make your own.

    cs_posting, Aug 23, 2005
  7. chrisaotto

    gooch Guest

    This demo board is pretty nice and a reasonable price. You can get it
    for under $100 including shipping and it comes in an enclosed box with
    an Ethernet port, Serial port and 40 pin I/O port. It also has a BDM
    for debugging but comes with software to debug and Flash over the
    Serial port. It also ships with a demo version of CodeWarrior and an
    open source TCP/IP stack. It is pretty simple to get some code up and
    running on this thing very quickly.

    gooch, Aug 23, 2005
  8. chrisaotto

    chrisaotto Guest

    12 TTL inputs, 4 TTL outputs

    chrisaotto, Aug 23, 2005
  9. chrisaotto

    chrisaotto Guest

    Thank you for all the great suggestions. I appreciate it.
    -- Chris

    chrisaotto, Aug 23, 2005