    signal amplitude, either manually, through the generator's panel keys or
    optional computer interface. I want to frequency range 0.1Hz - 100MHz.

    Can you recommend a student-priced one ?

    Guest, Nov 5, 2005

  2. What is the difference between a 100MHz sin and 100MHz triangle?
    You'll be happy if you can find a megabuck one.

    Frank Bemelman, Nov 5, 2005

  3. As Frank says, I don't think there are any. The low cost "function"
    generators seem to stop at around 20MHz.

    It would probably be cheaper to get a low cost function generator
    (sine, sawtooth, square) up to 20MHz, and a separate low cost "signal
    generator" (sine only) up to 100MHz+.

    Of course there are new things coming out all the time, so I may be
    out of date. There are reasonably priced DDS chips capable of this, so
    perhaps someone has packaged one into a modern, low cost instrument.

    I have been looking at the new Tektronix arbitrary function generators

    <http://www.tek.com/products/signal_sources/afg3000/>

    These would do what you want and much more, and are competitively
    priced for their product class. But hardly student priced (thousands
    of $) :(

    John Devereux, Nov 5, 2005
  4. Guest

    Ian Bell Guest

    Same as the difference between a 1Hz sine and 1Hz triangle.

    Ian

    Ian Bell, Nov 5, 2005
  5. At least a 200Mhz and a 400MHz overtone, likely more.

    Leif Holmgren, Nov 5, 2005
  6. You'll have a hard time finding a commercial unit that does 100MHz, and
    if you did you can't afford it. Why do you need 100MHz?

    2 to 20MHz is about the upper limit for most general purpose function
    generators.

    The ones with a keypad to enter the frequency will be a DDS (Direct
    Digital Synthesis) type.

    There are some low cost function gens on eBay like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Fu...oryZ1504QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    This is by far the best you'll get for that sort of money.

    If you want to roll your own for not much cost then you can try the
    MAX038 chip for an analog solution, like this one:
    http://alternatezone.com/electronics/hsfg.htm

    Or there are a few DDS chips around for a digital solution like this
    one:
    http://alternatezone.com/electronics/dds.htm

    Analog devices have "demo boards" for their high frequency DDS chips
    that will give you 100MHz if you *really* need sort of frequency, they
    cost a couple of hundred dollars and are PC driven only unless you
    design you own interface.

    At $1300, the new Goodwill GFG-3015 is an excellent example of a low
    cost fully optioned function generator:
    http://www.emona.com.au/catalogue/Section_7/index.html
    Fine for the lab, but not exactly a hobbyist price.

    Dave :)

    David L. Jones, Nov 6, 2005
  7. Guest

    Ed- Guest

    for such a wide range, look at the range of NCO's available, you will
    have to also use a micro to drive them and other odds & sods

    enjoy

    <D.N. Scalbile> wrote in message
    :I am a student and electronics is my hobby.
    :
    : I want to buy a programmable signal (square, sin, triangle, sawtooth)
    : generator. I want to be able to enter frequency, duty cycle and
    optionally

    Ed-, Nov 6, 2005
  8. Have a look around on ebay

    You can find some good stuff there ,i got me a working hp3325A ( 0.1hz
    20Mhz sine,square,triang,..) )once for 100$
    Then i bought a gpib interface from NI ,and now im having fun using it.

    Johan

    Sagaert Johan, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Guest

    Archades Guest

    aye, i can recommend soemthing up to 44khz, your soundcard, though u
    might need a ghz or 2 cpu to keep up. theres plenty of signal generators
    around, http://www.google.com.au/search?q=signal generator

    Archades, Nov 11, 2005