    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625699936073/>

    Thanks,
    Craig

    Williams, Jan 15, 2011

  2. Williams

    Williams Guest

    The LIF cables just pull straight out of the connector. There is no
    release mechanism. Found it on youtube.

    Williams, Jan 15, 2011

  3. Williams

    Bob Villa Guest

    You are a brave soul...with the money invested and the lack of
    experience...good luck to you!

    Bob Villa, Jan 15, 2011
  4. Williams

    Williams Guest

    I finished the job successfully. The illustrated guide from HP was
    invaluable. Anyone with a little skill (and JIS screwdrivers) could do it.

    Craig

    Williams, Jan 15, 2011
  5. Williams

    Ryan P. Guest

    I did the same thing two years ago when I had to replace my
    motherboard... My reasoning was that the laptop was already dead, so
    there wasn't much I could do to screw it up further! Especially being
    out of warranty. :)
    Interesting. What model laptop, might I ask? I have a DV6308, and
    the LIF cables (ribbons?) in mine ARE held in place by a locking
    mechanism... I had to extend a darker plastic piece that released some
    pressure and allowed the cables to be removed. This was on all the
    ribbons, keyboard, monitor, hot keys, etc.

    Ryan P., Jan 16, 2011
  6. Williams

    Williams Guest

    Model is dv9810us (see separate post for more details about the
    problem). It is not quite three years old.

    Mine has several ZIF (zero insertion force) cables. They also have the
    locking mechanisms (plastic pieces that slide in or pivot up). The LIF
    cables are ribbon cables also, but they just push into the connector.

    Williams, Jan 16, 2011
  7. Williams

    Bob Villa Guest

    I was not aware...Japanese Industrial Standard (I with pack that in
    with Metric and SAE).

    Bob Villa, Jan 16, 2011
  8. Williams

    Williams Guest

    I use the JIS screwdrivers for camera work mostly. They have a slightly
    shallower angle on the nose vs. Phillips, which usually means greater
    surface contact because the slots are also cut shallower.

    Williams, Jan 16, 2011
  9. Williams

    Bob Villa Guest

    Ouch! Don't get too technical or we'll hear from the "engineer"!

    Bob Villa, Jan 17, 2011
  10. Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, I've used lots of those ZIF / LIF type connectors and, despite all care
    and best practices, often the cables break or crack on older laptops. I
    don't know if it's prolonged exposure to raised temperatures or just heat
    but they get mighty brittle.

    That's why I love working on my ThinkPads, they don't have those
    connectors*, instead having decent plugs / sockets.

    (* Most of the ThinkPads I've worked on are post 2003, I don't know about
    their early models. I DO know that they *were* used in the (roughly circa
    1999) i1400 range that were made by Acer re-badged as IBM ThinkPads. These
    were lower-priced than the usual IBM ThinkPad and aimed at the home-user. I
    hope I never have to touch one of those pieces of crap again.)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Jan 17, 2011
  11. Williams

    Williams Guest

    Ha! I resemble that remark...

    Williams, Jan 17, 2011
  12. Williams

    Bluegrass

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Question for Ryan P.

    Hi Ryan - I have a client's DV6308 with power cable problems. I've ordered a replacement - and also confused about LIF connectors on the power button and main board. Is there a separate locking piece (the darker plastic) or is this part of the cable? Thanks.

    Bluegrass, Jul 10, 2011