    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 21, 2006

  2. Tom Scales

    deimos Guest

    They are a big improvement. The 6200's should use the same integrated
    encoder found on my 6600GT, which is about as good as you'll get from an
    on-card solution. The last time I had utilized TV-out was years back on
    an old GF3 TI200 and GF2 Ultra. Those were ok for the time, but still
    "blurry" at best.

    I'm really impressed with the new encoders though. When I first used
    s-video on the 6600, I was shocked that text was legible without any
    tweaking. Also there are more controls available for resizing the
    picture, centering, and the variable flicker filter (standard stuff
    now). Even on an old 31" Toshiba, an 800x600 desktop is easily
    distinguishable and 640x480 looks very crisp.

    I'm not sure if the brand matters or not, but I've found XFX and Leadtek
    have really good 2d components. Also, I hope the low profile 6200's
    have the same encoder chip and don't substitute an older Philips or
    Conexant to save space.

    deimos, May 22, 2006

  3. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    I have the XFX 6200 and, while I'm not sure what brand of chip is on it, I
    just know it's pretty huge by the size of the heatsink.

    Patty

    Patty, May 22, 2006
  4. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, XFX doesn't make a low profile, nor does Leadtek. Looks like Gigabyte
    is my best bet.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 22, 2006
  5. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Patty, May 24, 2006
  6. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'll be darned. Missed that.

    How does the end bracket work? It looks full height. I need that Lowprofile
    too. Does part of it come off?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 24, 2006
  7. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    I didn't look very closely at the end bracket, I don't think it broke
    apart, but I can't say for sure. However, I believe it's just standard
    height.

    One of my systems is an older Compaq SFF machine, and it uses the standard
    end bracket. In my system, the PCI cards sit sideways on a riser board.

    Patty

    Patty, May 24, 2006
  8. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Which card are you looking at at Gigabyte? All the 6200s there have
    standard regular height end brackets. A few cards are low profile, but the
    brackets are standard full height. I didn't think you could buy anything
    with a shorter end bracket unless you bought from the manufacturer of your
    system (very specialized parts).

    Patty

    Patty, May 24, 2006
  9. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, I agree. I'm starting to think I need to go down another path and swap
    systems around the house so I can just use a regular card.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 24, 2006
  10. Tom Scales

    Bill Guest

    Bill, May 24, 2006
  11. Tom Scales

    ammonton Guest

    The analog port is attached via a ribbon cable, so presumably the card
    comes with a half-height bracket that you can attach instead. But you
    should make sure that's the case before buying it.

    -a

    ammonton, May 24, 2006
  12. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Mine did not come with an additional bracket.

    Patty

    Patty, May 25, 2006
  13. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Patty, May 25, 2006
  14. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Except their low-profile bracket blocks the s-video out!

    I give ;) I'll use one of my full-height capable machines.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 25, 2006
  15. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    From looking at the info, I believe the optional VGA bracket (for an
    additional $5) does block the S-video, however the DVI/TV one that comes
    with the card does not.

    Patty

    Patty, May 25, 2006
  16. Tom Scales

    Bill Guest

    Sounds like a job for a drill motor and the appropriately sized bit.

    Bill

    Bill, May 25, 2006
  17. Tom Scales

    Pete Guest

    FWIF - I'm using a low profile EVGA FX5200 in my PVR for SDTV and it works
    well.

    http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/evga-geforce-fx5200-video-
    card-128mb-ddr-tvout-8x-agp/cName/video-cards

    LP Bracket here:

    http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/low-profile-pci-bracket-
    for-evga-fx5200/cName/video-cards

    Pete, May 25, 2006
  18. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Well, you know, as I look closer at the picture and the specs, I see that
    the DVI/TV bracket does have the S-video opening on it and that appears to
    come standard with the card. If you need the VGA bracket, you'd connect
    the VGA cable port to it and put it in a separate slot opening on the back
    of your computer (two slot openings would be used by the video). If you
    don't need the VGA connector, you'd (I am guessing) disconnect the VGA
    cable from the card and just use the DVI/TV bracket only which DOES give
    you the TV out connector.

    Patty

    Patty, May 25, 2006
  19. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    That would probably work, at least for now. I don't have another slot, but
    I doubt if all three work at the same time anyway.

    Thanks for all your help.

    TOm

    Tom Scales, May 26, 2006
  20. Tom Scales

    Patty Guest

    Yeah, I imagine you can have only one type of video output connected at a
    time.

    Bill was the one who found this card with the bracket option. Hope if you
    decide to get it, it works out fine for you. Good luck.

    Patty

    Patty, May 26, 2006