Low signal wireless

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Katie Tam, May 30, 2007.

  1. Katie Tam

    Katie Tam Guest

    Katie Tam, May 30, 2007

  2. Katie Tam

    Chris Hill Guest

    No. Try a different channel, remembering that g uses four of them at
    a time so there are really only three choices of channel. The signal
    is likely strong enough, but some neighbor has a cordless phone or
    wi-fi interfering. If the problem is really a signal problem rather
    than an interference issue, replace the adapter or router, whichever
    isn't transmitting like it should.

    Chris Hill, May 31, 2007

  3. Katie Tam

    Val Guest

    "g uses four of them at a time" HUH????

    No, it uses one. However, due to width of the channel, only three of them
    are non-interfering (1, 6 and 11 in the USA). OP may still find relief
    changing channel, even to one of the other 8.

    Also, consider a higher gain anntena(s) for the base unit. Maybe this
    "booster" could help: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/104/C10612/

    Val

    Val, May 31, 2007
  4. Katie Tam

    dg Guest

    No, it uses one. However, due to width of the channel, only three of them
    I remember a Linux-based spectrum analyzer program for WiFi, it was on
    a SuSE 9.1 Pro DVD I used to have. If the app is still available on a
    bootable "Live" GNU/Linux CD/DVD, this could be used to map spectrum
    useage in her vicinity--thus telling her what channels are most and
    least congested/contested. Remember, besides WiFi-G, she's competing
    with microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, flaky TV sets, and cordless
    phones. SSMA helps reduce data corruption, and well-written software
    in the router should automatically map the vicinity for competing
    wavelength use. But well-written software isn't the rule.
    Ah, how many times have I heard the cry, "I need more power!"
    DG

    dg, May 31, 2007
  5. Katie Tam

    Val Guest

    NetStumbler could also be used to get a rough idea of which channel(s) will
    work best in the particular area, and determine if there are competing WiFi
    sources nearby.

    Val

    Val, May 31, 2007