Lower speed with a network connection

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by SPie, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. SPie

    SPie Guest

    Hi folks,

    Few days ago I purchased the following two hardware units:

    · D-Link AirPlus G High Speed 2.4 GHz 4-Port 802.11g Wireless Router,
    Model DI-524
    · TRENDware/TRENDnet 802.11g Wireless PC Card, Model TEW-421PC

    Plugged and installed everything according to the instructions and what
    I got was a noticeable difference in the speed (LOWER) of the desktop
    which is connected via Ethernet cable to the router, then to the Cable
    Modem box. That happens also, when the Wireless PC card was removed
    from the laptop. The speed on the laptop (connected wirelessly) via the
    PC card was also very slow but I guess that is expected. The desktop,
    though, should not have a change of speed. When I removed the router,
    and plugged the desktop directly to the Cable Modem box, speed became
    lightning fast again.

    Why is this happening? Do I need to play with some settings or what?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    SPie, Jan 20, 2005

  2. SPie

    Quaoar Guest

    Always start by rebooting the modem, then when it is fully booted, start
    the router, then the computers. Also, open the router web gui and
    verify that you have allowed enough DHCP-assigned IP addresses, etc.

    Quaoar, Jan 20, 2005

  3. SPie

    SPie Guest

    I will try that. Thanks!!!