    I don't want to buy parts I can't use.

    TNX

    Doug

    Guest, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Doug,

    80-pin SCA SCSI drives all have the same physical form factor, so brands are
    interchangable in drive carriers. You need to also make sure that HP has not
    cobbled up the BIOS in the LPr or in its RAID controller (if present) to accept
    only SCA drives flashed with an HP-specifc firmware.

    It's unlikely that HP follows this reprehensible practice, but you never know.
    HP, like DEC and others, has a long history of proprietary hardware and some of
    the proprietary thinking may have seeped over into the server group.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 25, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ben;

    Good to hear from you. I didn't know you did HP :)

    I have 2 36GB and 4 9.1 B IBM 80 pin SCA drives. There are carriers for
    sale on eBay and there are drives, but the drives are HP branded made by
    IBM. Makes you cautious. The drives are real expensive in the carriers.
    Hopefully someone else has gone thru this. My son in law got the drives and
    1 piece of RAM (IBM brand) out of a server he decommissioned this summer.
    He thought it was a HP server. Anyway the company kept the carriers and let
    him take the drives and memory. The memory is 3.3 volt; I'm suspicious
    these came out of a HP because the Netserver LPr takes 5v memory. I would
    think there was some commonality to parts amongst the server models. (I've
    also seen 5 v memory out of IBM servers.)

    Happy Holidays.

    Doug

    Guest, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Doug,

    The industry went thru an ugly transition period with 168-pin DIMMs. The whole
    idea was to increase memory bandwidth and capacity compared to the 72-pinners.

    First, there was 5v EDO.
    Next, 5v SDRAM.
    Finally, the much more common 3.3v SDRAM.

    Except for parity (ECC) versus non-parity, these types of DIMMs were all
    standard, albeit for a very a short period of time.

    The 5v EDO was matched up with older chipsets during the equally awkward
    transition from Pentium MMX and Pentium Pro to Pentium II. For a while, there
    were Pentium II motherboards using the same chipsets as Pentium Pro systems.
    The older chipsets were designed for 5v memory.

    The DEC Wintel parts business is just about dead for me. I've scrapped nearly
    all the DEC parts, with a few odds and ends of cables and old cube-shaped ZX
    chassis still to be torn down. I actually sold some DEC front-panel switches
    with wiring harnesses to someone for shipment overseas, where someone is keeping
    some old bone white systems up and running.

    As a local service provider, I do not discriminate against any brand name. If
    they're broken, we fix 'em. If they're not broken, we can break them for you at
    no extra charge... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 26, 2004