    compare to the Toshiba specs?

    2. Anyone own one and have any comments on it either way?

    Thanks!

    stan, Feb 11, 2004

  2. stan

    Lookingout Guest

    The M200 is an excellent balance of form and function if you are`looking for a laptop with Tablet functions
    I have had this for about 1 month now and like a cell phone I don't know how I've survived so long without one.

    Lookingout, Feb 11, 2004

  3. stan

    Health Nut Guest

    I'm waitingfor the G-wireless capbility... That will be almost as good as being on CAT5 compared to b wireless!!

    Muuuuust be patient..... uh!!!

    Health Nut, Feb 11, 2004
  4. I have been using the M200 for about 3 months as a development machine
    and it rocks. I did upgrade the memory to 1G and it is the 1.5Ghz model
    which is just a little bit slower than the laptop my company provided for
    me.
    The ink looks great with the high resolution as does most programs.
    Some people think everything looks too small with the 12" screen but it
    works great for me.

    Gary A. Bushey, Feb 11, 2004
  5. stan

    stan Guest

    Did you upgrade the memory yourself or did you go through Toshiba? Is it
    difficult to upgrade memory yourself on this unit?

    stan, Feb 11, 2004
  6. I did it myself (had Toshiba put in one 512M chip and added another).
    Memory upgrade is a snap. There is a cover on the bottom of the M200 that
    you need to open and you will see the memory slots. You can then add the
    memory.
    If I were to do it over I would have Toshiba ship as is and then upgrade
    the memory myself. By having Toshiba upgrade the memory to 1 512M chip it
    took another 2 weeks to get ;)

    Gary A. Bushey, Feb 12, 2004
  7. I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. MS analyzed some
    ungodly number of handwriting samples in order to make the recognizer as
    good as possible.

    --

    Gary A. Bushey
    SPS MVP

    handwriting to text conversion. I'm not sure if I need to get used to it or
    if there is some training I need. Overall, it's great. I love taking notes
    in a meeting digitally and the keyboard/laptop mode is just like a regular
    laptop which I couldn't live without.

    Gary A. Bushey, Feb 12, 2004
  8. stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Feb 12, 2004
  9. stan

    Tedd Riggs Guest

    Chris,
    What about Micron/Crucial Tech. ? I have used those for about everything and
    never a problem, but not tried a Tablet one yet.

    Tedd Riggs, Feb 12, 2004
  10. stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Feb 12, 2004
  11. The problem with their approach, however, is that the recognizer doesn't
    'learn' about your handwriting. IOW, YOU have to adapt to how it recognizes
    text, instead of the other way around. It's chances of learning your
    handwriting are the same from the moment you install it until the next
    upgrade (unless you change how you write, of course). I feel this is a real
    weakness in MS's handwriting strategy - like the Junk Mail filter in Outlook
    2003, you have to wait for MS to improve things on their end.

    That was one of the great things about the Apple Newton's recognition ( I'm
    talking about the 2000/2100) - it was great out of the box, but got even
    better over time because it had the ability to learn and customize itself to
    your particular style of writing.

    Just my 2 cents.

    -Henry

    Henry Stukenborg, Feb 16, 2004
  12. stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Feb 16, 2004
  13. Chris,
    That's my point exactly - you have to change to improve the recognition
    instead of the other way around. I'm not downplaying the work or quality of
    the recognizer engine, more the fact that it's static. Doesn't it make more
    sense to have the software adjust to how you work instead of the other way
    around? I honestly have no idea if the recognizer architecture can be
    changed to allow that kind of intelligence or not, but I would hope so.

    -Henry

    Henry Stukenborg, Feb 16, 2004
  14. stan

    Chris H. Guest

    Perhaps you'll be pleased with the next version of the Tablet PC superset,
    dubbed Tablet PC Edition 2004, which is due around mid-year:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/nov03/11-17LonestarPR.asp If
    you're interesting in the testing, you can go to www.beta.microsoft.com and
    follow the directions above the Sign In button on the first page.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Feb 16, 2004
  15. stan

    Sten Tamkivi Guest

    Sten Tamkivi, Feb 23, 2004
  16. I used the Kingston and their memory matching online program. Works fine.

    --

    Gary A. Bushey
    SPS MVP

    match-you-device-to-our-memory engine and local availability...

    Gary A. Bushey, Feb 24, 2004