M2N-E Beep Codes - General Question

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Ralph Innes, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Ralph Innes

    Ralph Innes Guest

    Hi group!

    Has anyone found a web page that accurately lists the beep codes for the
    P.O.S.T. of this board? (Or any other ASUS board, for that manner)?

    The reason I ask is that, months ago, I built a system, which ran
    flawlessly for a couple of weeks, then failed solidly with a beep-code of
    1-long 2-short.

    The web was full of "solutions": 1-long 2-short = bad video adapter.

    Nothing in the mobo manual.

    Ordered and installed a new video card. Nope. Same problem.

    Back to the web, I found LOTS of the same misinformation. Also, one lone
    comment that went something like: "wrong. 1-long & 2-short is bad RAM"

    Replaced the RAM. Bingo!

    Yesterday, my 2nd M2N-E gave me a 1-long 3-short beep-code. The reboot
    went fine, but the problem may revisit me. I thought that, before I start
    tossing out video cards, I'd see if I could find an absolute authority on
    the beep-codes for this board. My search on ASUS's website for either
    "Beep" or "post" turns up nothing.

    Is there someplace on ASUS's website where the correct beep-codes are
    listed? Or elsewhere?

    It'd be nice to know. So I don't have to go down the garden path again.
    And again.

    TIA,

    - Ralph

    Ralph Innes, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Ralph Innes

    RobV Guest

    I'm not aware of any MB manufacturer giving a list of beep codes (there
    may be one, or more, but I haven't found one yet).

    Generally, the beep code is indigenous to the BIOS manufacturer. The
    most common BIOS maufacturers are Award/Phoenix and AMI (American
    Megatrends). Others are listed on the web page below, but those are the
    two most common ones you'll find.
    http://bioscentral.com/
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm