M2n-sli Deluxe (am2 nforce 570 sli atx) does not boot

Discussion in 'Asus' started by handyandy, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. handyandy

    handyandy Guest

    I have bought a new computer to assemble at home. When I attempt to
    power up, nothing happens. I know the motherboard has power as the
    green led is on. However when I switch the pc on the fans on my
    processor, power supply and graphics card virbrate - attempt to turn. I
    have to hold the on button in for about four seconds before I can
    attempt to start my pc again, with the same events as before.

    If I remove everything from the board except the procesor there are no
    warning beeps to tell me the ram or the graphics card are not present.

    My specs are:
    Amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ am2
    1gb of Corsair xms2-6400 260dimm cl5 DDR2
    M2n-sli Deluxe (am2 nforce 570 sli atx)
    1.44 floppy drive
    Liteon DVD-RW/RAM sata
    2 x Maxtor DiamondMax10 160GB s300
    400w power supply

    My power supply works as I have tested it in another pc which booted xp
    fine.

    Thanks in advance

    handyandy, Oct 21, 2006

  2. handyandy

    Paul Guest

    With the motherboard connected to the power supply, and the power
    button connected to the PANEL header, does the power button allow
    the power to be turned on and off properly ? That would be without
    processor, RAM, or graphics installed. You should hear and see the
    PSU fan operate properly, when the power button is pushed. This
    test is verifying the PS_ON# logic on the motherboard. The green
    LED on the motherboard should be lit steadily, and should not blink
    at all (no matter what test you are doing).

    If the fans "twitch" when you push the power button, but do not
    spin, then the power supply could be overloaded. You can try
    taking the motherboard out of the computer case, install the CPU,
    and repeat your "beep" test with CPU, motherboard, and power
    supply. One reason for pulling the motherboard out of the
    case, is as a check that a brass standoff is not shorting to
    a copper conductor on the bottom of the motherboard. With
    no RAM or video card present, you should get distinctive
    beep patterns.

    If all fans spin, but there is no "beep" with stuff missing,
    another reason for that would be the BIOS release is not
    compatible with the processor. In that case, the processor
    may be able to execute some number of instructions from the
    BIOS chip, but the BIOS hangs in a loop early in the
    sequence. The result is a failure to beep. BIOS code
    execution is needed to make a beep noise through the
    computer case speaker. Check the CPUsupport page, comparing
    the BIOS release number printed on the top of the socketed
    BIOS chip on the motherboard, to the type and stepping of
    CPU you are using.

    You don't say what power supply you've got. If the
    power supply is Antec Neopower, some vintages of those
    have been known to have problems with Asus motherboards.

    If none of the above is giving encouraging signs, then
    return the motherboard during your retail vendor's return
    period. Some sellers rely on the Asus warranty, which is
    a sign of excessive DOA motherboards. Retailers should
    really handle this issue for you, during the first two
    weeks of usage (it might even be the law in some
    countries).

    I don't see a reason to suspect the processor, but
    occasionally one of those will be dead. Check for
    damage to the bottom of the CPU or to the motherboard
    socket, during the test where you removed the processor.
    Processor testing by Intel and AMD, is hundreds of times
    better than motherboard testing by Asus.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Probably need to upgrade the psu - I have a similar rig and a 460w psu
    couldn't cope - did power up though. You'll need more than 500w.

    Peter Johnson, Oct 21, 2006
  4. handyandy

    handyandy Guest

    Thanks, I have managed to get the motherboard working outside the case
    on a woodern board.

    But when I reassembled it into the case, it did not turn on so I
    followed what another website had said was to leave the usb connecters
    unconnected - which worked besides the fact that the motherboard
    started smoking underneath the ADH connecter - the BIOS - also gave a
    message that the usbs were drawing too much current and the pc was
    going to shut down in fifteen seconds. I turned it off imediatly. Any
    ideas why this happended, they woul dbe greatfully appreciated.

    handyandy, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Sounds like it's shorting out when installed in the case. You need to remove
    any standoffs in the case that do not match up to the motherboard
    screwholes, and *carefully* check for any other points at which the
    motherboard touches the case. The motherboard should *not* touch the case at
    all except where the mounting screws go through it into the standoffs.

    Peter van der Goes, Oct 21, 2006
  7. handyandy

    Paul Guest

    Reversed USB header wiring ? Standoff in the wrong place ?

    If something smoked, there could be damage. Have you inspected
    for damage to the PCB ? If you short something, the power supply
    can deliver a lot of current, and with sufficient current, you
    can burn internal conductors inside the motherboard.

    As Peter explained, you are only supposed to install a brass standoff,
    where there is a tin plated hole on the bottom of the motherboard.
    If you had a different brand of motherboard in the computer case
    than the one you are currently installing, you may find one standoff
    needs to be removed. If a standoff touches an area of the board, which
    is not one of those tin-plated circles, then the short can burn
    something real quick.

    The brass standoffs are supposed to come in contact with the tin-plated
    circles. The tin-plated circles are grounded, and so are the brass
    standoffs. They are at the same electrical potential, and are allowed
    to touch. But if a brass standoff touched a piece of bare copper connected
    to +5V, +12V and so on, then a lot of current can flow, and the
    motherboard can get so hot, as to char the fiberglass.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 21, 2006