M2N32-SLI Deluxe: System Turns Off after 5 Seconds of Turning On

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Dec 2, 2007.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hello,

    I would sincerely appreciate any help with my problem. Yesterday
    I went to turn on my PC, and then 4 or 5 secs later after turning
    on it turns off. The fans go on, the hard drives start spinning,
    and then mysteriously the system turns off. Unfortunately my case
    (Antec P180 silver) doesn't have a built-in speaker, so I don't
    know if there are any audible error codes.

    I have 2 sticks of Corsair 1GB DDR memory, so I removed one.
    No luck. I erased the BIOS memory. Again, no luck. I read
    in some forums that if you press the reset button twice right
    after turning on, you will be able to see POST and enter the
    BIOS settings. Unfortunately, no luck.

    One more thing, the day before this problem I updated to the
    latest BIOS. Could this have anything to do with it? After
    updating the BIOS, I restarted several and it worked perfectly.
    However, the next day when I went to turn it on, I had this
    damned problem. :-(

    Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I would
    be very grateful for any help.

    Thank you,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    It sounds to me like your CPU heatsink has come adrift.
    I'd suggest checking that, and if you're confident in the operation,
    removing the HS and reinstalling it.
    It's probably not the BIOS update, as you said it rebooted successfully a
    few times after the update.
    IHTH,
    Jack R.

    Jack R, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi Jack, (better not say that at the airport!)

    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out and let you
    know. Also, I forgot to list my parts in the first post:

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition
    Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800
    Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD
    MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256EZ-HD Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    Sony 1.44MB 3.5in
    Pioneer DVR-112DBK 18X IDE
    Antec P180
    Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT
    Samsung 19" LCD 940BX
    Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Black Card Reader

    Paul, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I removed the motherboard from the case to make sure
    there are no short circuits. I subsequently removed
    the heatsink and processor, then reinstalled both very
    carefull. Unfortunately, no luck. :-(

    I'm starting to think that I have a bad motherboard. It
    was working fine for a couple of months. I must say though
    that in the last week or two, I was experiencing more lockups
    and freezes. (That's why I decided to upgrade the BIOS to the
    latest version.) I wonder if there's a connection here?

    Do processors ever go bad? Could it be the processor by
    any chance?

    Thank you,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 3, 2007
  5. Paul

    Ollie Guest

    Paul,

    If you have a "spare" power supply, you could try it to exclude the Seasonic
    S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT from the list of suspects.

    Cheers, Ollie

    Ollie, Dec 3, 2007
  6. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    I'd look at the power supply next. Do you have a meter to measure the
    voltages, or another PS to substitute?
    CPUs do go bad, but rarely in my experience, and then mainly caused by heat
    (failed/blocked fan), or a power failure/surge.

    BTW, top posting is not preferred in these newsgroups, so readers can more
    easily follow the thread.

    Good luck,

    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 3, 2007
  7. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a PS from another computer.
    Even though the system runs for 5 secs, do you think it could be
    the Seasonic? If the PS had gone bad, wouldn't the computer fail
    to even start?
    Will keep that in mind next time. Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks Ollie. Will give it a try tomorrow.

    Best regards,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 3, 2007
  9. Paul

    Venom Guest

    snip<
    I had one like that last week. I changed the power supply and it was fine
    after that.

    Venom, Dec 3, 2007
  10. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    --stuff deleted--
    Paul, You'd be amazed at the bizarre problems an
    intermittent/unstable/flakey/failing power supply can cause...

    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 3, 2007
  11. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I replaced the power supply and it still didn't work.
    Since I needed my computer for work, I had no choice but
    to go to the local computer shop and buy a new M2N32-SLI.
    I replaced the motherboard and everything started working
    again. So, the problem was a faulty motherboard after all.
    I contacted ASUS and got an RMA for the defective board.

    I wonder if this is a common problem with this board?
    Will they send me a new board or a refurbished one?

    Regards,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 4, 2007
  12. Double check the fan on the old unit.
    What you are describing, is exactly what will happen, if a 'tacho'
    signal is not being received from the CPU fan. The system will
    shutdown a couple of seconds latter, if the CPU is not being cooled,
    but an immediate 'no boot', will happen if the CPU decides it's fan is
    not going round. It bases this decision on the tacho pin from the fan.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Dec 4, 2007
  13. Paul

    666 Guest

    Dead Horse Alert
    Dinosaur Detected

    If there's a god in heaven, there's a special corner of hell
    reserved for people like you, and guess what you get to read for all
    eternity ?

    666, Dec 5, 2007
  14. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    Thank you so much for your valued contribution.

    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 6, 2007
  15. Paul

    BlackRain Guest

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:01:55 -0500, "Jack R" <> :

    get a life.....some more experienced people don't want to wade thru page with
    700 post that is 4miles long...post as you please and quit acting like Johnny
    the Internet cop....take your spam elsewhere...

    BlackRain, Dec 6, 2007
  16. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    At least I tried to help with the problem.
    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 6, 2007
  17. Quite right Jack and thank you for being helpful.

    Top-posting is annoying especially when the entire parent message is
    quoted underneath. It might be better if top-posters just wrote their
    reply and didn't quote the parent message at all.

    However, bottom-posting is annoying when the reader must search through
    pages of quoted message just to find a single-line reply at the end so I
    can see what BlackRain is talking about.

    At least Paul took your advice and his later post fits in much better
    than his first reply. BlackRain's post is terrible.

    Steven Saunderson, Dec 7, 2007
  18. I would sincerely appreciate any help with my problem. Yesterday
    Very likely the BIOS. I encountered the same symptom when my M2N-E's
    BIOS was damaged while trying to overclock my AMD X2 3800+. I needed to
    take the board to Hong Kong/s distributor to re-program the BIOS after
    the engineer unplugged the BIOS chip from the board.

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.9

    Man-wai Chang ToDie, Dec 7, 2007
  19. Paul

    Jack R Guest

    I agree with your reply.
    Thanks for the positive response.
    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 7, 2007
  20. Paul

    Bill Jemison Guest

    On a very minor note, I have black P180, that also wasn't equipped with
    a built in speaker. I stopped by a local computer shop (not a national
    chain but a place that builds computers) and they sold me a small
    speaker that I clipped to the inside grill (at the bottom by the lower
    hard drive enclosure) and connected to the mother board.

    I like to be able to hear the audio part of the boot. I think it can
    provide a useful diagnostic.

    Good luck,

    Bill

    Bill Jemison, Dec 8, 2007