M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless and Ram

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ARR, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. ARR

    ARR Guest

    Greeting to everyone!!

    I am about to build a new box with the following configuration and would
    like any of you experts/more advanced than I am to please give this a
    once over and tell me if I am making any glaring mistakes.

    Motherboard: M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless AM2 Nvidia nForce 590

    RAM: Corsair XMS2 2-GB (2x 1 gb) 240 pin ddr2 SDram DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Cas 5 Timing 5-5-5-12 (2 sets of 2 4 gb total)

    Hard Drive: WD 320 gb 7200 SATA

    Video Card: MSI NX7600GT Geforce 7600GT 256 MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x 16

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2000mhz HT

    Optical Drives: Lite-on IDE Dvd Drive; Lite On 16x DVD+-R

    PowerSupply: Coolmax 500 watts

    Case: Cooler Master Mystique 631 RC-631 KKn1-GP ATX Mid Tower

    Also, what is the deal with CAS?? the lower numbers are better? Should
    I dump this CAS 5 and get lower?

    Thanks

    ARR, Jul 26, 2006

  2. ARR

    Clas Mehus Guest

    I belive I have used the same Corsair-modules on this board, and it
    worked fine.

    Lower CAS is better, but also more expensive. The difference ain't
    huge -- if you don't overclock, buy standard modules and use the extra
    money on e.g. faster CPU instead of faster modules because the
    difference is normaly very small.

    As for optical, I will normaly recommend other optical units than
    Lite-On -- e.g. BenQ, Plextor, Philips or NEC (yes, I know, Lite-On
    and BenQ is connected now, but the real BenQ-drives are normale
    Lite-Ons drives).

    Clas Mehus, Jul 26, 2006

  3. ARR

    ARR Guest

    I think the major reason I went with Lite-on was because it came bundled
    with Nero...

    ARR, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Asus recommend 600w minimum for a 'fully configured system' but say
    they have tested at 500w with AMD FX-62 (64?), 4Gb ram, PCI express
    x16 nVidia 7950G x2 graphics cards, 2 x sata drives, DVD-RW and PATA
    drive. They also say that to use two high-end PCI Express x16 cards a
    PSU rated between 500 and 600w, or more, should be used.

    Peter Johnson, Jul 27, 2006
  5. ARR

    ARR Guest

    Upgraded it to this one
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817171009

    COOLER MASTER RS-550-ACLY-SLI ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply

    I am not going to run 2 video cards -for the moment.

    any idea about the ram: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 PC2 6400 (TWIN2x2048-6400)

    I read that the AM2 Athlon 64 X2 processors run at 667, there fore the
    ram would have to run at 667. Did I understand correctly?

    ARR, Jul 27, 2006
  6. No.
    The FX-62 in the M2N32 board, runs the memory at 800MHz.
    The default settings, as configured by SPD, for my system, are 800
    5-5-5-15.
    However if you drop the clock to 667, it gives 4-4-4-10, which is actually
    slightly quicker (for example, the Cas cycle, is 5.99nSec, against
    6.25nSec).
    The AMD64, in the new socket, only supports memory rates up to DDR667, but
    the X2 versions, support up to DDR800.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jul 27, 2006
  7. ARR

    ARR Guest

    Thanks for the help!

    /.

    ARR, Jul 27, 2006
  8. I've just, last week, learned the hard way that a 480w psu won't hack
    it with this board, even without the CD writer and two cards that it
    happily powered in an otherwise equivalent A7N8X system.

    Peter Johnson, Jul 28, 2006