M2N32 SLI-Deluxe Wireless

Discussion in 'Asus' started by aRu, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. aRu

    aRu Guest

    My question concerns external drives and boot ability. I have the ASUS
    board with the 406 bios. I want to use an external drive to boot from
    in which I could install Linux. I was wondering if I need to do a bios
    update to make this work. When I go into bios, under boot, when I look
    for removable devices, the only one that appears is the floppy drive. I
    have tried to find the drive either in firewire mode or usb 2.0 mode.
    So far, the BIOS does not see these drives.

    Has anyone using the 406 bios been able to boot from an external drive?

    If you have been able to boot from an external drive, which BIOS are you
    using?

    Thanks!

    /.

    -------

    My Rig:

    MB: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless board
    CPU: AMD X2 4200
    RAM: 2 gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
    VIDEO: MSI NX7600GT VT2D 256 Geforce 7600GT,
    STORAGE DRIVE: Western Digital WD3200KS 320 gb sata drive
    BOOT DRIVE: Western Digital 150 gb Raptor
    OPTICALS: 2 lite on optical drives; dvd and (DVD RW-dvd/R-DL DVD
    Multi-Recorder)
    CASE: Cooler Master Mystique 631 case
    POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master SLI 550w Power Supply
    Wireless: Realtek RTL8187 802.11g 54mps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Printer: HP Laserjet 1020
    Primary O.S.: Windows XP SP2 (32Bit Edition)
    Secondary O.S.: Windows Vista RC 2 64 Bit Version

    aRu, Nov 14, 2006

  2. aRu

    BigJim Guest

    the board will either boot from external device or it won't.
    Check your bios to see what it will do.

    BigJim, Nov 14, 2006