    fx62 processor. I have heard that this board is fussy as to memory. What
    DDR2 memory modules would perform well in this system? I want 2 GB on 2
    matched sticks.

    Oldspook, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Oldspook

    Paul Guest

    There is a review here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2787&p=3

    It looks like people have had their share of troubles with RAM.
    I think you should read this, and make up your own mind what to
    buy. There is a QVL for RAM for the board, on the Asus site, or
    you could go by the experiences in some of the RAM threads on
    this page:

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=M2N32-SLI+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Oldspook

    pioneer Guest

    I would soooo wait six months before buying new tech like AM2.

    Always wait for rev 2 at least.

    Now's the time to scarf up cheap socket 939 with the bugs ironed
    out.

    pioneer, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Oldspook

    Don Freeman Guest

    Wait a couple of more weeks and the price will come down considerably as
    well (rumor has it up to 50%). When that day comes I'm getting the twin
    core.

    Don Freeman, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Oldspook

    Oldspook Guest

    Thanks for the advice group.

    After reading early reviews of the soon to be released Intel Core 2 Due
    CPU's, I have decided to wait. I especially like the lower power consumption
    of these chips. The predicted prices are very attractive, in some cases half
    the price of a similarly performing AMD CPU. It is sure to cause AMD to
    lower their prices, maybe by half or more.

    Oldspook, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Oldspook

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    That's determined by whether the stock CPU speed is evenly divisible by 400.
    Thus, an AM2 X2 4200 (2.2Ghz/400 = 5.5) will run its RAM at 667 but an AM2
    X2 3800+ (2Ghz/400 = 5) can run it at 800. This leads to some very
    interesting performance combinations. It's when the quotient is not an
    integer that the memory speed drops to the next lowest option in the list.

    DRS, Jul 9, 2006
  7. Oldspook

    DRS Guest

    My bad. I shouldn't post when I'm not paying attention. The formula isn't
    CPU speed / 400, it's CPU speed / memory divider. If the result is an
    integer you get DDR2-800. If it's not an integer you'll get the next lowest
    JEDEC-compliant standard memory clock.

    See http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/23/amd_reinvents_itself/page9.html
    and
    http://images.tomshardware.com/2006...tself/table_ddr2_memory_configuration_big.gif.
    Note in the chart that even an AM2 Sempron 3000 can get DDR2-800 but an AM2
    X2 5000 can't! As THG noted, "you have to ask yourself: who can really
    understand all of this?"

    DRS, Jul 10, 2006
  8. Oldspook

    Tveskaeg Guest

    Cant remember where iread it but you will only be able to rumm the
    memory at 800Mhz with an 4800+ and upwards.

    Below that you have to settle for 667Mhz.

    Tveskaeg, Jul 10, 2006
  9. Oldspook

    Tveskaeg Guest

    Oki, you guys might wanna check out this thread

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=419966

    Lots of usefull info on the board from other users.

    Tveskaeg, Jul 10, 2006