    Anyone else with a similar problem? Or.. more generally, found that
    disabling IDE/1394 disables a PCIe slot?

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Feb 3, 2011

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Foke Guest

    I'm a bit confused. What does 1394 (Firewire) have to do with IDE? I
    don't have that mobo, but I've never seen the two things married together
    like that.

    Foke, Feb 3, 2011

  3. I agree that it's an odd combination, but on this board they are indeed
    combined in a singe chip, a VIA VT6330:

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/peripherals/1394/vt6330/

    and I have now found a report on an Asus forum that disabling the
    IDE/1394 erroneously does disable the 1x PCIe slot as well.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Feb 3, 2011
  4. Percival P. Cassidy

    Paul Guest

    Did you check to see, if any new BIOS is available for it ?
    Perhaps the release notes for the BIOS downloads, will
    indicate it's been fixed.

    The board is a little weird, in terms of lane count.
    The 880G has x16 and x4 interfaces. The SB850 has (2) x1.
    The board has two video card slots (so that would be
    the x16 and x4 part). But there are three loads for
    x1 lanes. And one review, mentions there is a PLX bridge
    chip involved. So the x4 from the 880G, might go to the
    bridge chip first. They may need to do that, to support the
    third x1 interface needed (VT6330, NEC USB3 chip, x1 slot).

    If there was a coupling between the setting and the behavior of
    the x1 slot, I would have expected disabling the VT6330, causes
    the x1 to be enabled. Rather than the other way around. On
    some boards that uses switching chips, they sometimes disable
    PCI Express slots, in order to allow an onboard chip to work.
    But yours doesn't seem to be running that way.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 3, 2011