    then nothing else happens. Even if it can't improve on the default
    settings, I would still expect it to tell me so.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jun 12, 2010

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Paul Guest

    On support.asus.com.tw download link for your board, in the
    BIOS history section, it says:

    [ 1308 ]
    ----------------------
    Improve Auto Tuning function.

    I'd start by checking the BIOS release you're using. Maybe
    the function actually works in 1308.

    Personally, I'd be checking the results very carefully,
    after the process is finished, with things like CPUZ, or
    with Speedfan to check any monitored voltages or the like.
    To do something like that automatically, the easiest way
    is to just boost the hell out of the voltages (Vcore, Vdimm,
    VNB, VSB, ect). Be careful what you wish for.

    Part of tweaking by hand, is only using enough voltage for
    stability (i.e. enough to pass four or eight hours of
    Prime95). Real tweaking takes days.

    Asus has the advantage, that they know what all the settings
    do, so in principle, they can arrive at a set of test conditions
    faster than a human can. But if the process only takes five
    minutes to complete, then no stability test of much value has
    been done. It's still up to you, to complete stability testing,
    before accepting the results.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 12, 2010

  3. I see that note, but there does not seem to be such a version available
    for download from any of the Asus sites I checked -- USA, Germany or Taiwan.
    I went back into the BIOS and found a message about overclocking by
    using CPU Level Up. I'm already using a 3.4GHz CPU and 7-8-7-24 timing,
    so I don't think I'll bother trying to speed it up any more.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Jun 12, 2010