    to make it work?
    all the plugs are individual, not one solid connector if that helps?

    Strut

    Strutter1982, Apr 20, 2007

  2. Strutter1982

    Paul Guest

    The F_AUDIO connector on the motherboard, has headphone and microphone
    connections. Normally, computer cases would connect to that internal
    header on the motherboard. Many computer cases only have a headphone
    and microphone jack on the front of the case, which mates perfectly
    with the F_AUDIO header.

    Your motherboard has a rear audio stack, with six connectors. Four of
    those connectors would be used for 8 channel sound. Using just three
    of those connectors would give 6 channel sound (as long as the audio chip
    software supports that mode of operation - switching the driver to the
    right mode, means the right surround signals are calculated). For any
    desired audio configuration, it is important that the software supports
    the configuration. Some audio equipment, has a connector config that
    won't necessarily work with the computer.

    You will need a way to bring the audio connections from the rear stacks,
    so they interface to some front mounted connectors. My best guess is,
    doing this would be a real DIY project, involving a soldering iron, and some
    stuff you might find at Radio Shack. The cabling on your computer
    case, if it supports three jacks, has no where to connect to your
    motherboard, that I can see. Only the back of the computer
    has the necessary interface.

    If you want a nice solution, which is plug and play, this site can help.
    Using this stuff, means the current connectors on the front of your
    computer case, will not be used. This gear allows installing a completely
    new set of front jacks.

    http://www.frontx.com/order1.html

    To bring three connectors from the back of the computer, to the front,
    you would need three of these. The CPX090 features muting, and two output
    jacks. You plug the green end into the stack on the back of the computer.
    The tiny undecorated jack, is affixed to the back of the computer (drill
    hole in chassis and use retention nut to hold in place), and
    becomes the new "back jack". The jack with the fancy plastic, goes on the
    front of the computer. For each jack on the front of the computer, where
    a plug is installed, the jack on the back of the computer would be muted.
    That allows a stereo system connected to the back of the computer, to
    be muted when you've made connections to the front. Typically, that is
    used for single jack setups, for headphones. It doesn't make too much
    sense for 5.1 or 7.1 sound systems (because you would normally just
    leave those connected). So whether this option is necessary, is up to
    you. (For the sake of completeness, I'd probably buy four of these,
    so the whole 7.1 can be brought forward. No sense of only doing three
    quarters of the job and needing to fix it later.)

    http://www.frontx.com/cpx090.html

    For more static configurations, you could use three of these. These allow a
    rear jack signal, to be mounted on the front of the computer. There is no
    muting feature with these, and you no longer have (convenient) access to
    audio from the rear of the computer.

    http://www.frontx.com/cpx090_2.html

    You also need to buy one of these, and this is installed in a 5 1/4"
    drive bay. Remove three of the small plastic pieces on the front, then
    slide the three jack assemblies into place. This will be your new front
    access for the necessary signals.

    http://www.frontx.com/cpx088.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Strutter1982

    Strutter1982 Guest

    Thanks very much for the helpful reply, but I have since worked it out and
    have it running smoothly.
    Thanks again

    Strutter1982, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Strutter1982

    Paul Guest

    5.1 via the front of the computer ? How did you do it ?

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 21, 2007
  5. Strutter1982

    Strutter1982 Guest

    Found a wiring diagram on how to plug in the ac97 style connectors into a
    motherboard with HD pins. Then disabled "Front panel detechtion" setting,
    and now it works perfectly.

    Jared

    Strutter1982, Apr 21, 2007
  6. Strutter1982

    Paul Guest

    OK, so that is headphones and microphone jack, on the front of the computer.
    I thought you had some kind of computer case, that had more jacks on
    the front of it.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 21, 2007