    10-11GB. So the 64GB SSD is probably just fine for most people.

    After all, my iBook G4 only has a 40GB drive and still has 10GB free and
    it's running 10.5 which is larger than 10.6

    Lewis, Oct 31, 2010

  2. Lewis

    Jim Guest

    My (original) Air has a 64GB SSD, and the only time it's a problem is
    when I go on a photographic trip. The Air is the perfect size to take,
    but sometimes I shoot almost 40GB in a day. Clearly I need an external
    drive no matter what size the SSD is.
    Otherwise it's been great. On it now, and have about 31GB free (sys
    10.6.4).

    Jim, Oct 31, 2010

  3. What in the world are you shooting- sports?? Even with the biggest RAW
    files from the top Nikons or Canons, that is a boatload! Do you edit in
    the field? (Mostly culling is what I do).

    John McWilliams, Oct 31, 2010
  4. Lewis

    Guest Guest

    my guess is panoramas, where each 'photo' is actually dozens of shots,
    sometimes significantly more. it adds up *fast*.

    Guest, Oct 31, 2010
  5. Lewis

    Jim Guest

    I always shoot raw images, which requires a lot more memory than jpegs.
    Typically, my 5D MkII needs 25MB per raw image, so I get about 1600 per
    40GB.
    That's a busy day though - typically it's more like 1000 per day when
    travelling.

    Jim, Nov 1, 2010
  6. That's still an extraordinary number of shots. What are you shooting?
    (subjects, not gear).

    Do you cull in the field?

    John McWilliams, Nov 2, 2010
  7. Lewis

    Jim Guest

    I shoot quite a variety. Was in South Africa this time last year, and
    was amazed at the beauty of the country - had to keep a finger on the
    shutter button at all times.
    I never remove pictures in the field. I find that the little camera
    screen really isn't a good idea of the quality of the image, so delay
    decisions until later. On the computer, I use Aperture to 'rate' each
    image, so don't really delete either, just hide. Some times I go back
    months later and see how a crop and a few adjustments can save what I
    thought was a bad shot.

    Jim, Nov 2, 2010

  8. Thanks for the clarifications! Looks like we have very opposite methods:
    I do edit in the field (MacBookPro is usually not far away), and I cull
    mercilessly, as soon as possible. I use Lightroom to evaluate, but I
    don't necessarily assign ratings to each photo.
    If I had to go back and make later adjustments to thousands of photos a
    week that were near duplicates, I'd go nuts. Or more nuts.

    John McWilliams, Nov 3, 2010