MAC G3 Freezes - Too Frustrated to SCREAM

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Gnarlodious, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Gnarlodious

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Gnarlodious, Jan 26, 2004

  2. I have a G3 beige tower with gobs of memory (416 MB) and no additional
    OS X to mess me up. I am running OS 9.2.2 and it freezes on almost EVERY
    scroll or drag after about 15 minutes of use in programs like Photoshop
    or Netscape 7.0 and MS Office 2001. I have allocated 150MB to Photoshop
    and 50 MB to word and 60MB to Netscape. It doesn't matter if I am
    running them one at a time or all at once.

    When I watch the "About This computer" window allocating memory I
    sometimes see the OS jump from 20 MB one time to 60MB in another session??

    I have a ZIF card that upped the MHz from 266 to like 466.
    I have a radeon USB card. I think it is radeon. And I run my USB Epson
    printer and scanner from it.

    I have an old keyboard and mouse from the LCIII era because I can't run
    a USB of either on a third party card.

    I have shut down almost ALL extensions and it seemed to begin to work
    fine. Then I added necessities like Internet access through cable, a USB
    scanner and USB printer running through third party card, and ATI
    extensions to run my Xclaim TV device.

    I even reloaded a clean OS.

    I have 5 partitions on two Hard Drives.
    1 is my main guy with all my applications, another just a clean OS for
    rebooting when there is trouble and running Norton utilities, another
    for web files and sites I make, yet another running only Virtual PC W98
    and a final clean one for burning CDs. All have at least one gig of
    space left if not more.

    I don't get why I am constantly freezing when doing simple tasks. It is
    usually when I am dragging an image in Photoshop or accessing a web page
    in NS, but it could be when I am just writing something like now in this
    news group.

    It is so frustrating I can't even scream!!!

    I have run Norton Utilities and find sometimes problems with B-trees and
    file allocations resource forks with wrong modified dates and icon on or
    off that shouldn't be. NOTHING more extensive. All are fixable in Norton.

    HELP!!!

    Rick

    News For Rick, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Gnarlodious

    fishfry Guest

    A key clue if your system suffers from random freezes. Do you know how
    to double-check the jumper settings on your motherboard? Does your new
    ZIF have its own set of jumpers? Check both those sets of jumpers. Then
    try lowering the CPU and/or bus speed till the system stops freezing.

    G3 jumper settings are described here . . .
    http://www.wmld.com/tech/jumperchart2.html

    fishfry, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Gnarlodious

    fishfry Guest

    Periodic freezes like the ones you describe often indicate the processor is
    overheating. This is ESPECIALLY true of machines with accelerators or
    processor
    upgrades in them.

    Make sure that the processir is correctly seated. Make sure the heatsink is
    fully and securely fastened. When you installed it, did you use heatsink
    paste
    on the processor? If not, you will likely have overheating issues.

    Try changing the jumpers to slow the processor down. If that works, you'll
    need
    to either keep it runing slower, or investigate why it's overheating in some
    detail; you may need to use a different heatsink, or put more thermal paste
    on
    the heatsink, or even replace the processor.

    This problem may also be caused by bad RAM, but since you have a processor
    upgrade, I'd tend to suspect an overheating processor.[/QUOTE]

    All good suggestions. However, here is a link to an article that
    recommends *NOT* using thermal paste:
    http://drivejumper.com/ClockupG3/homepage.html

    I have a G3 beige desktop with an upgraded G3/500 CPU overclocked to 560
    MhZ: 70MhZ bus speed and 8x CPU multiplier. This system runs flawlessly
    even with a Radeon 7000 video card, a firewire card, and a USB card.

    While I was doing my overclocking experiments I periodically checked the
    temp of the CPU with an infrared thermometer from Radio Shack ($49.99,
    batter not included). I didn't see any overheating problems. I agree
    with you that overclocking and/or overheating are probably the source of
    the original poster's problems, but thermal paste is messy and more
    likely to cause harm than good in the hands of an inexperienced hardware
    hacker.

    fishfry, Jan 26, 2004
  5. News For Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Thank you more details follow in this thread.

    News For Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Thank you and I am not sure about the jumpers. I will check.
    More details follow in this thread.

    News For Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  8. I appreciate all your responses.

    It seems unanimous that this is not simply software issues but hardware.
    That at least is a relief. I will replace the mouse soon.

    I have had this ZIF card in for several years with no problems.
    I did just change environments however and I am closer to the room
    heating source with less circulation?? And if I recollect, more freezing
    came with the onset of winter!!

    I AM a novice "hardware hacker" for sure. I will stay away from the
    paste. Any other cooling ideas??? I will check the seating of the cards
    and processor and heat sink.

    I would love to know more about the over clocking adjustments including
    bus speeds and what is a multiplier. And while I am at it, I have not
    installed L2 cache. Which I may have imagined came some how with the
    ZIF?? Could be a figment though.

    I am also not sure how to check RAM good vs bad.
    I have three sticks 32MB, 128MB, and 256 MB in slots J5 J4 J3 respectively.

    Thank you
    Rick

    News For Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  9. --snip--

    Silly question, but:

    Are you sure the entire computer is freezing, or is it just that the
    mouse fails to work?

    I had a Pismo powerbook a while back, and when at my desk, I hooked it
    to a large monitor, and an external keyboard and mouse (both USB, of
    course).

    I also had random "freezes", which I finally traced to the mouse locking
    up. Unplugging and replugging it always fixed the problem. I replaced
    the mouse with another make, but that did not cure the problem. In
    desperation, I put a "reboot" button in the mouse because I didn't want
    to wear out the USB connector. When I pressed it, power to the mouse was
    temporarily interrupted, which reset it.

    Eventually, I got an ADB to USB adapter and brought in an old keyboard
    and mouse from home. That solved the problem completely.

    Isaac

    Isaac Wingfield, Jan 27, 2004