    all.

    Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    mail I am forwarding?

    Gary, Dec 7, 2011

  2. Gary

    JimR Guest

    Put your cursor to the left of the first character you want to delete, then holding the mouse down, drag to the end of what you want deleted. The area you've selected will turn blue. Let go of the mouse and hit the delete key.

    That works on my Mac, don't know if it's the same on a PC.

    Jim from Hilton Head

    JimR, Dec 7, 2011

  3. Gary

    Tony Craine Guest

    Format menu -> Quote Level -> Decrease

    I've never used this feature that I can recall, but I believe that's
    what it's for.

    Tony Craine, Dec 7, 2011
    Ham likes this.
  4. Gary

    Fred Moore Guest

    I hadn't heard of the Cmd-Opt-left arrow trick. What I use is Cmd-'
    (single quote, next to the Return key). Cmd-opt-' will increase the
    quote level. Both commands are also under Format->Quote
    Level->Increase/Decrease. Note that you will have to select the part you
    want to unquote before using the command.

    Also, and this can be very frustrating, if the selection appears with a
    'black box' around it and a black X in a circle in the upper right
    corner, you may not be able to change what's inside the box (sometimes
    you can). It's telling you it's a pasted graphic, I think.

    Good luck.

    Fred Moore, Dec 7, 2011
  5. Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    You can also select the text then right click and select Quote level from
    the contextual menu, then Increase or Decrease.

    Keyboard shortcuts:

    cmd-' Increase quote level
    opt-cmd-' Decrease quote level

    Paul Sture, Dec 7, 2011
  6. Gary

    isw Guest

    No, it's telling you that the stuff in the box is formatted with HTML.

    Menu/Format/Make Plain Text will take care of it.

    Isaac

    isw, Dec 7, 2011
  7. Gary

    isw Guest

    My goodness, JR. What in the world do you think e-mail is *for*?

    8^}

    Isaac

    isw, Dec 7, 2011
  8. Gary

    Fred Moore Guest

    Thanks for the pointer, Issac. I have tried that at times and sometimes
    nothing happens to the image. That's why I was thinking it was a graphic.

    Fred Moore, Dec 7, 2011
  9. There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no idea
    why that happens, though.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 8, 2011
  10. Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    Yes, I had some of those back a few years ago. At the time I thought
    that the shortcuts weren't working.

    As a workaround I probably copied the lot into TextEdit (using plain
    text) and did the massaging there, before copying the results back.

    Apple Mail was nowhere near as bad as Outlook in this respect.

    Paul Sture, Dec 8, 2011
  11. Gary

    John Varela Guest

    If you mess around with it you'll likely find that there is a nest
    of those round-cornered boxes. Some quirk of html, I imagine.

    What I've found sometimes works is to start a "forward" message,
    highlight only the desired content, being sure to stay within the
    innermost box, then copy and paste into a new message.

    John Varela, Dec 8, 2011
  12. If you mess around with it you'll likely find that there is a nest
    of those round-cornered boxes. Some quirk of html, I imagine.[/QUOTE]

    Those vertical lines and the boxes are two different things.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 8, 2011
  13. Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Really. Everyone knows Usenet is the place for serious conversation.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
    An optimist says the glass is half full.
    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 9, 2011
  14. Gary

    John Varela Guest

    Those vertical lines and the boxes are two different things.[/QUOTE]

    And by copying only the desired content you avoid both of them.

    John Varela, Dec 9, 2011
  15. Gary

    Ham

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tony Craine you have solved the problem! Thank you four years after you made this post.

    Ham, Apr 29, 2015