    all.

    Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    mail I am forwarding?

    Gary, Dec 7, 2011

  2. Gary

    JimR Guest

    Put your cursor to the left of the first character you want to delete, then holding the mouse down, drag to the end of what you want deleted. The area you've selected will turn blue. Let go of the mouse and hit the delete key.

    That works on my Mac, don't know if it's the same on a PC.

    Jim from Hilton Head

    JimR, Dec 7, 2011

  3. Gary

    Tony Craine Guest

    In article <4edf54e4$0$9784$c3e8da3$>,
    Gary <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    > mail I am forwarding?

    Format menu -> Quote Level -> Decrease

    I've never used this feature that I can recall, but I believe that's
    what it's for.

    Tony Craine, Dec 7, 2011
    Ham likes this.
  4. Gary

    Fred Moore Guest

    Gary <> wrote:

    > I get a lot of mail which has been forwarded from person-to-person,
    > containing those vertical lines in the left column indicating that is
    > is quoted forwarded material. Some of the messages contain 8-10 of
    > these lines.
    >
    > When I want to forward this material to others, I'd like to remove the
    > vertical lines. I've discovered that keting Cmd-A followed by multiple
    > keying of Cmd-Opt-left arrow will get rid of some of the lines, but not
    > all.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    > mail I am forwarding?

    I hadn't heard of the Cmd-Opt-left arrow trick. What I use is Cmd-'
    (single quote, next to the Return key). Cmd-opt-' will increase the
    quote level. Both commands are also under Format->Quote
    Level->Increase/Decrease. Note that you will have to select the part you
    want to unquote before using the command.

    Also, and this can be very frustrating, if the selection appears with a
    'black box' around it and a black X in a circle in the upper right
    corner, you may not be able to change what's inside the box (sometimes
    you can). It's telling you it's a pasted graphic, I think.

    Good luck.

    Fred Moore, Dec 7, 2011
  5. Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:05:51 -0600, Tony Craine wrote:

    > In article <4edf54e4$0$9784$c3e8da3$>,
    > Gary <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    >> mail I am forwarding?

    > Format menu -> Quote Level -> Decrease
    >
    > I've never used this feature that I can recall, but I believe that's
    > what it's for.

    You can also select the text then right click and select Quote level from
    the contextual menu, then Increase or Decrease.

    Keyboard shortcuts:

    cmd-' Increase quote level
    opt-cmd-' Decrease quote level

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Dec 7, 2011
  6. Gary

    isw Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <4edf54e4$0$9784$c3e8da3$>,
    > Gary <> wrote:
    >
    > > I get a lot of mail which has been forwarded from person-to-person,
    > > containing those vertical lines in the left column indicating that is
    > > is quoted forwarded material. Some of the messages contain 8-10 of
    > > these lines.
    > >
    > > When I want to forward this material to others, I'd like to remove the
    > > vertical lines. I've discovered that keting Cmd-A followed by multiple
    > > keying of Cmd-Opt-left arrow will get rid of some of the lines, but not
    > > all.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    > > mail I am forwarding?

    > I hadn't heard of the Cmd-Opt-left arrow trick. What I use is Cmd-'
    > (single quote, next to the Return key). Cmd-opt-' will increase the
    > quote level. Both commands are also under Format->Quote
    > Level->Increase/Decrease. Note that you will have to select the part you
    > want to unquote before using the command.
    >
    > Also, and this can be very frustrating, if the selection appears with a
    > 'black box' around it and a black X in a circle in the upper right
    > corner, you may not be able to change what's inside the box (sometimes
    > you can). It's telling you it's a pasted graphic, I think.

    No, it's telling you that the stuff in the box is formatted with HTML.

    Menu/Format/Make Plain Text will take care of it.

    Isaac

    isw, Dec 7, 2011
  7. Gary

    isw Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <4edf54e4$0$9784$c3e8da3$>,
    > Gary <> wrote:
    >
    > > I get a lot of mail which has been forwarded from person-to-person,
    > > containing those vertical lines in the left column indicating that is
    > > is quoted forwarded material. Some of the messages contain 8-10 of
    > > these lines.
    > >
    > > When I want to forward this material to others, I'd like to remove the
    > > vertical lines. I've discovered that keting Cmd-A followed by multiple
    > > keying of Cmd-Opt-left arrow will get rid of some of the lines, but not
    > > all.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    > > mail I am forwarding?

    > Just stop forwarding silly chain mails to others. Problem solved.

    My goodness, JR. What in the world do you think e-mail is *for*?

    8^}

    Isaac

    isw, Dec 7, 2011
  8. Gary

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <isw-E6FB38.09470407122011@[216.168.3.50]>,
    isw <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <4edf54e4$0$9784$c3e8da3$>,
    > > Gary <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I get a lot of mail which has been forwarded from person-to-person,
    > > > containing those vertical lines in the left column indicating that is
    > > > is quoted forwarded material. Some of the messages contain 8-10 of
    > > > these lines.
    > > >
    > > > When I want to forward this material to others, I'd like to remove the
    > > > vertical lines. I've discovered that keting Cmd-A followed by multiple
    > > > keying of Cmd-Opt-left arrow will get rid of some of the lines, but not
    > > > all.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of all the vertical lines in
    > > > mail I am forwarding?

    > > I hadn't heard of the Cmd-Opt-left arrow trick. What I use is Cmd-'
    > > (single quote, next to the Return key). Cmd-opt-' will increase the
    > > quote level. Both commands are also under Format->Quote
    > > Level->Increase/Decrease. Note that you will have to select the part you
    > > want to unquote before using the command.
    > >
    > > Also, and this can be very frustrating, if the selection appears with a
    > > 'black box' around it and a black X in a circle in the upper right
    > > corner, you may not be able to change what's inside the box (sometimes
    > > you can). It's telling you it's a pasted graphic, I think.

    > No, it's telling you that the stuff in the box is formatted with HTML.
    >
    > Menu/Format/Make Plain Text will take care of it.

    Thanks for the pointer, Issac. I have tried that at times and sometimes
    nothing happens to the image. That's why I was thinking it was a graphic.

    Fred Moore, Dec 7, 2011
  9. In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > You can also select the text then right click and select Quote level from
    > the contextual menu, then Increase or Decrease.
    >
    > Keyboard shortcuts:
    >
    > cmd-' Increase quote level
    > opt-cmd-' Decrease quote level

    There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no idea
    why that happens, though.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 8, 2011
  10. Gary

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:04:50 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You can also select the text then right click and select Quote level
    >> from the contextual menu, then Increase or Decrease.
    >>
    >> Keyboard shortcuts:
    >>
    >> cmd-' Increase quote level
    >> opt-cmd-' Decrease quote level

    > There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    > lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no
    > idea why that happens, though.

    Yes, I had some of those back a few years ago. At the time I thought
    that the shortcuts weren't working.

    As a workaround I probably copied the lot into TextEdit (using plain
    text) and did the massaging there, before copying the results back.

    Apple Mail was nowhere near as bad as Outlook in this respect.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Dec 8, 2011
  11. Gary

    John Varela Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 02:04:50 UTC, Michelle Steiner
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > You can also select the text then right click and select Quote level from
    > > the contextual menu, then Increase or Decrease.
    > >
    > > Keyboard shortcuts:
    > >
    > > cmd-' Increase quote level
    > > opt-cmd-' Decrease quote level

    > There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    > lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no idea
    > why that happens, though.

    If you mess around with it you'll likely find that there is a nest
    of those round-cornered boxes. Some quirk of html, I imagine.

    What I've found sometimes works is to start a "forward" message,
    highlight only the desired content, being sure to stay within the
    innermost box, then copy and paste into a new message.

    --
    John Varela

    John Varela, Dec 8, 2011
  12. In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-4r2ikuxi2dri@localhost>,
    "John Varela" <> wrote:

    > > There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    > > lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no idea
    > > why that happens, though.

    > If you mess around with it you'll likely find that there is a nest
    > of those round-cornered boxes. Some quirk of html, I imagine.

    Those vertical lines and the boxes are two different things.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 8, 2011
  13. Gary

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 12-07-2011 12:48, isw wrote:
    > Jolly Roger<> wrote:
    >> Just stop forwarding silly chain mails to others. Problem solved.

    > My goodness, JR. What in the world do you think e-mail is *for*?

    Really. Everyone knows Usenet is the place for serious conversation.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
    An optimist says the glass is half full.
    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 9, 2011
  14. Gary

    John Varela Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:06:05 UTC, Michelle Steiner
    <> wrote:

    > In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-4r2ikuxi2dri@localhost>,
    > "John Varela" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > There are some messages I've received where there's one or two of those
    > > > lines that won't be removed by using Decrease quote level. I have no idea
    > > > why that happens, though.

    > > If you mess around with it you'll likely find that there is a nest
    > > of those round-cornered boxes. Some quirk of html, I imagine.

    > Those vertical lines and the boxes are two different things.

    And by copying only the desired content you avoid both of them.

    --
    John Varela

    John Varela, Dec 9, 2011
  15. Gary

    Ham

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tony Craine you have solved the problem! Thank you four years after you made this post.

    Ham, Apr 29, 2015