  1. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    "Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

    Mike Barnard, Aug 13, 2010

  2. Today they don't, who knows what tomorrow brings?

    Lloyd Parsons, Aug 13, 2010

  3. Mike Barnard

    Suze Guest

    I remember one time many years ago when my husband got some kind of Mac
    worm that necessitated his wiping his drive and re-installing the
    system. AFAIK, that is the only viral problem my hubbie or I have ever
    experienced on Macs. (He's been on Macs since around 1981 and me since
    1995).
    I don't have virus programs and don't recommend them. I do keep my
    firewall up, and as long as you do that, I personally think you'll be
    fine. It's one of the more pleasurable things about running a Mac, from
    where I sit. I have a work windoze PC, and I would not dream of running
    it without virus software. Despite having virus software on every
    computer in our company, virii still get into the system periodically
    and several employees have had to have their drives re-imaged.

    Suze, Aug 13, 2010
  4. Mike Barnard

    Guest Guest

    <[email protected]egated.
    amazing that he had macs three years before they came out.

    Guest, Aug 13, 2010
  5. Mike Barnard

    Guest Guest

    Maybe he had a Lisa
    1983

    or Macintosh XL. : )[/QUOTE]

    1985

    Guest, Aug 13, 2010
  6. Firewall software of choice is the firewall built into Mac OS X. Antivirus
    software of choice is clamAV, which is included with Mac OS X. However,
    since there are no Mac viruses in the wild, there's no need to run
    antivirus software on the Mac at this point in time.

    But if you want to run ClamAV, download the free ClamXav, which is a GUI
    front end to ClamAV.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 13, 2010
  7. Maybe he had a Lisa or Macintosh XL. : )

    Or maybe by "around 1981" she meant 1984. Big deal.[/QUOTE]

    Maybe she made a typo.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 13, 2010
  8. Not necessarily true. Anti-virus software looks for code that is common
    to many virus programs and has caught some that weren't out when the
    data files were issued.

    Lloyd Parsons, Aug 13, 2010
  9. Mike Barnard

    Suze Guest

    Just for the sake of correctness, I check with hubbie and he tells me
    that it was an Apple II, pre-Macintosh. It had no monitor and no hard
    drive. He had to buy a hard drive and used a spy camera monitor for the
    monitor.
    Family: Pre-Macintosh
    Codename: ?
    Introduced: April 1977
    Terminated: May 1979
    You can find a pic at apple-history.com.

    Suze, Aug 13, 2010
  10. Troll? Or simply unable to use google?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Aug 14, 2010
  11. At least no Mac-virus, since there aren't any until now. But you may be
    unlucky to get a PC-virus that you can 'host' and in some cases even
    resend to others. So even though they can't hurt anything on yhour Mac,
    I'll recommend to get an antivirus app like ClamXAV. It's good and fast
    and can even scan your inboxes which not many others can do. ClamXAV is
    free. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/52238

    Regarding firewall - just use the built-in one in the system.

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Aug 14, 2010
  12. Mike Barnard

    Wes Groleau Guest

    There are a few programs that use "heuristics" to detect "virus-like
    behavior" They tend to misdiagnose installers as malware.

    Wes Groleau, Aug 14, 2010
  13. Sure. Either way, it's a prediction of the future. So which is more
    likely:

    1. A new virus is actually detected by current antivirus software; or
    2. Current antivirus software interferes with a future version of Mac OS
    X, downloads a bad update file that causes it to start destroying files,
    or hits a bug that destabilizes your computer.

    Not installing antiviral software on Mac OS X is not false confidence in
    the Mac's security, it's more a well-earned lack of confidence in
    antiviral software for the Mac. I think it's the best choice, but it
    *does* necessitate staying on top of tech news.

    Steve

    Steven Fisher, Aug 14, 2010
  14. Mike Barnard

    Alan Baker Guest

    Honestly. I don't bother with anti-virus software and will only install
    it for my clients if they insist on it.

    Alan Baker, Aug 14, 2010
  15. I would agree, I don't use AV software either. But I keep my machines
    up to date.

    Lloyd Parsons, Aug 14, 2010
  16. Mike Barnard

    Wes Groleau Guest

    For that matter, there's no guarantee it will detect and
    protect you from an old one. On Windows at work, I ran
    Malware Bytes one day--and found seven things that
    our official Symantec had not caught. No wonder the
    Piece of Crap (PC) wasn't working well!

    Wes Groleau, Aug 14, 2010
  17. Maybe, maybe not... If to read the OP's address correctly, he's living
    somewhre in the UK - i.e. in Europe, which means that he in a case where
    he has re-sent a virus - even by unluck - can be held responsible for
    any cleaning and/or loss in incom, if he gets judged at court. - The
    authorities within the EU is now taking harder steps against such people
    if they can proove it at court.

    So alone this should be enough to install one or the other antivirus /
    antimalware application - Mac or Win don't matter here... - I have 4x
    Mac + 1x Win XPPro here on the network. - All are protected with both
    firewall and antivirus - ClamXAV on the Macs and Avast! on the XPPro
    machine - and all setup to scan shared disks/network disks + inbox
    scanning in both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird...

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Aug 14, 2010
  18. Mike Barnard

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I have never installed any additional security software and have had no
    problems in the last 8 years of daily use of Mac OS X. As far as I am
    concerned the built security features are good enough to keep my machine
    safe enough (but then I am generally quite security conscious and don't
    do silly things anyway).

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Aug 14, 2010
  19. Mike Barnard

    jt august Guest

    A slew? Funny, I found one, and it dated back to 2006, and Symantec
    seemed to make a bigger deal of it than anyone else. Oh, and a Security
    Update from Apple back then closed that loophole, no charge to mac users.

    jt

    jt august, Aug 15, 2010
  20. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Hi all.

    My apologies, but I just realised while looking back through old
    posts, that I never replied to you all.

    So, my thanks for the information and the warm secure feeling I now
    have! The Mini has been running since my post nonstop now and has been
    a great tool.

    Mike.

    Mike Barnard, Sep 4, 2010