Mac Mini vs mini win media center

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jd Lyall, Aug 20, 2006.

  1. Jd Lyall

    Jd Lyall Guest

    I just discovered that a windoze mini box is considerably more expensive
    than a mac mini.

    S1digital.com has a mini box looking to be the same size as the mac
    mini. It probably has a very similar motherboard as the core duo mac
    mini, has the integrated video, 1 gig of ram and 80 gig HD. No wi-fi
    built in. They are asking $1195. I paid $900 for my core duo 1 gig mac
    mini.

    This win box does have svideo output as well as DVI, which could be a
    plus. Win media center OS. A tuner is optional, as is a remote. This
    would be a media center remote, which does a lot more than the little
    front row remote with the Mamini.

    How can they get away with charging $200 more for basically the same
    computer, except Win media rather than osx? Certainly more people know
    about the mamini than this thing.

    I did buy a cappuccinopc a couple years ago which was more than the soon
    the arrive g4 mini. That cappuccino has an industrial case and runs
    direct from 12 volt tho, which are very big benefits for off grid use.

    Jd Lyall, Aug 20, 2006

  2. Jd Lyall

    zwsdotcom Guest

    Much smaller volumes on the Windows box. It's a boutique PC. The Mini
    is a mainstream Mac.

    zwsdotcom, Aug 20, 2006

  3. Costs < $20 to add S-Video (and composite) to the mini (in the US).

    Gregory Weston, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Jd Lyall

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Meh. It's a $20 adaptor; I got one for my Mac mini (the cheap single
    core version) and actually route the S-Video cable to my TiVo. There is
    a slight delay doing it that way, but the features the TiVo brings are
    usually worth it.
    For me it comes down to how much I really want/need the computer to do.
    Mine is mostly a server that I use to play the odd DVD and video
    podcasts. For just that, I don't need another huge remote control that
    tries to do everything under the sun.
    Suckers? Really, there may be some advantage if you're going hog wild
    with the PC as *the* media center, but not when I already have a TiVo.
    I personally don't see any advantage in using Windows for a media
    center, and I sure as hell wouldn't hook it up to the Internet.

    Doc O'Leary, Aug 21, 2006