mac newbie: broken internet connection!!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Dave, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    hi Folks,

    I've been migrating from PC to mac for the last while, but this one has got
    me baffled.

    my mac (powerbook G4) has been doing some weird things lately, like losing
    all my email passwords, losing date & time settings, losing memorized
    passwords to email acc'ts etc.

    anyway, i turned it on yesterday, and i got two strange "firewall" warnings
    (never knew the mac had one built in) (os X 10.5.8) ... informing me that
    two local proccesses wanted to accept connections from the internet and
    would I allow. I said "no" to both, because neither was an app that I
    recognized. (one was some kind of 5-letter process whose name I promptly
    forgot...)

    anyway - since denying them, my browsers cannot connect to the net, even
    tho' my wireless signal is connected and strong. when I go into the system
    firewall, I can't see that "5-letter thing" on the list of services and apps
    anywhere.

    I'm fairly up on PC firewall stuff, so if anyone can translate my mac woes
    into PC terms, or offer any advice, i would much appreciate...

    thx ...

    Dave, Jan 9, 2011