Mac OS X RAID5 on MacPro, Xserve, Xserve RAID?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marc Heusser, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I could not find the information:
    I'd like to know whether I can do a RAID5 array on a MacPro, Xserve,
    Xserve RAID.

    Here is my current knowledge (guesses that is):
    MacPro: RAID5 in software yes (Mac OS X Server), in hardware no
    Xserve: RAID5 in software yes (Mac OS X Server), in hardware no
    Xserve RAID: RAID5 in hardware yes

    Is this correct?

    And if it is possible to do a RAID5 in software on a Mac Pro (4x750GB
    Seagate SATA) - is the performance good enough to record 2x miniDV
    streams live?

    TIA

    Marc

    --
    Switzerland/Europe
    <http://www.heusser.com>

    Marc Heusser, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Marc Heusser

    ZnU Guest

    In article <>,
    Marc Heusser <>
    wrote:

    > I could not find the information:
    > I'd like to know whether I can do a RAID5 array on a MacPro, Xserve,
    > Xserve RAID.
    >
    > Here is my current knowledge (guesses that is):
    > MacPro: RAID5 in software yes (Mac OS X Server), in hardware no
    > Xserve: RAID5 in software yes (Mac OS X Server), in hardware no
    > Xserve RAID: RAID5 in hardware yes
    >
    > Is this correct?

    OS X (even Server) does not support software RAID 5. Apple's only RAID 5
    solution is Xserve RAID. (Though there are other third-party solutions,
    obviously.)

    > And if it is possible to do a RAID5 in software on a Mac Pro (4x750GB
    > Seagate SATA) - is the performance good enough to record 2x miniDV
    > streams live?

    DV is only 3.8 MB/sec. Even a single drive can handle multiple streams
    just fine.

    --
    "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law."
    -- George W. Bush in Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005

    ZnU, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    Re: RAID5 on MacPro - solutions?

    In article <>,
    ZnU <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Marc Heusser <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I could not find the information:
    > > I'd like to know whether I can do a RAID5 array on a MacPro, Xserve,
    > > Xserve RAID.

    > OS X (even Server) does not support software RAID 5. Apple's only RAID 5
    > solution is Xserve RAID. (Though there are other third-party solutions,
    > obviously.)

    Ok - thanks.
    Do you know of good third-party solutions to create a RAID5 array with 4
    or more 750 GB drives (I guess external to the Mac Pro, though I'd like
    an internal solution)?

    TIA

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Marc Heusser

    Flash Guest

    Re: RAID5 on MacPro - solutions?

    > > > I could not find the information:
    > > > I'd like to know whether I can do a RAID5 array on a MacPro, Xserve,
    > > > Xserve RAID.

    > > OS X (even Server) does not support software RAID 5. Apple's only RAID 5
    > > solution is Xserve RAID. (Though there are other third-party solutions,
    > > obviously.)

    > Do you know of good third-party solutions to create a RAID5 array with 4
    > or more 750 GB drives (I guess external to the Mac Pro, though I'd like
    > an internal solution)?

    Can't you buy a Raid controller card and then mount the additional
    drives in an external case? When using 4 drives in the Mac Pro, make
    sure the drive at the rear or even the 2nd to the rear as well, don't
    overheat. The cooling hits the first one well, the 2nd one probably OK
    too, but the 3rd and 4th? Make sure. An external case with the drives
    mounted sideways with a large 120 mm or larger fan on the bottom would
    cool them silently and very efficiently. About an inch spacing between
    the drives should be adequate. Maybe you could use even less space.
    Thermal sensors on the drives would be a nice touch to monitor your
    cooling success. Remember most, if not all, hard drives produce more
    heat from the bottom than the top. Cool the bottom and you cool the
    drive. If you've got hot air coming out of the case, the interior
    components are not being cooled well. And if you've got hot air coming
    out of an idling computer, the design is severely flawed.

    Flash, Nov 22, 2006
  5. Marc Heusser

    ZnU Guest

    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > ZnU <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Marc Heusser <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I could not find the information:
    > > > I'd like to know whether I can do a RAID5 array on a MacPro, Xserve,
    > > > Xserve RAID.

    > > OS X (even Server) does not support software RAID 5. Apple's only RAID 5
    > > solution is Xserve RAID. (Though there are other third-party solutions,
    > > obviously.)

    > Ok - thanks.
    > Do you know of good third-party solutions to create a RAID5 array with 4
    > or more 750 GB drives (I guess external to the Mac Pro, though I'd like
    > an internal solution)?

    Here's a HighPoint card: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2322mac.htm

    Here's a review:
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/highpoint/2322/