    there are machine updates too when the computer is on the pale end of
    performance ... he sends them off to Best Buy with a recommendation for
    a particular model and spec - and to avoid Win 8.

    Alan Browne, Apr 25, 2014

  2. Alan Browne

    Your Name Guest

    Theoretically the Thunderbolt 2 ports mean external storage / cards
    *should* pretty much match internal components for perfomance ... of
    course, as you basically said, it depends on the maker of those
    external devices as to how good their Thunderbolt connection is (it
    could, as a hopefully silly example, use an old serial->Thunderbolt
    adaptor).

    Your Name, Apr 25, 2014

  3. Alan Browne

    Your Name Guest

    If Apple takes Mac software fully down the App Store route, as it
    appears to be heading, then you'll HAVE to buy via iTunes (or whatever
    replaces it).

    Your Name, Apr 25, 2014
  4. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    why not?

    Guest, Apr 25, 2014
  5. Alan Browne

    Rob Noland Guest

    The numbers on the chart come straight out of Apple's quarterly reports.
    Is that garbage? He plotted it as a continuous series with averaging
    to smooth it out. When you ignore fiscal year begin/end you get a clear
    picture of sales compared to the past.

    As to MacWorld it looks like they just take the positive spin from the
    helpful people at Apple and add more positive spin to it.

    Does MacWorld have some interest in Macs looking good? :)

    At least Mac sales are sort of steady. PC sales are down everywhere.

    Rob Noland, Apr 26, 2014
  6. Alan Browne

    JF Mezei Guest

    My impression is that the PC market is down, and that within it, Mac's
    are down less than the rest. (so once can factually argue they are doing
    better than the rest).

    Computers are no longer a growth industry, it is a mature industry. And
    it takes a while for analysts and companies to get used to an ever
    growing curve changing to a cyclical curve.

    Note that Microsoft has been able to spin a 4% increase in Windows sales
    (19% increase for Windows Pro), so even they can find ways to pretend
    the market is still growing.

    MS was not able to answer questiohs on whether this growth was due to a
    one time blimkp caused by retirement of Windows XP (although earlier
    they acknoledged it contributed to that number).

    JF Mezei, Apr 26, 2014
  7. Alan Browne

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Along with desktops and laptops as a whole. I know people with a tablet
    or smartphone who have not replaced the laptop they no longer use in
    several years. The laptop market will continue to fade slowly, teh
    desktop market will continue to fade steeply and these two will become
    niches (probably already are). Smartphones and tablets will grow and
    level off, to be replaced when Google Glass type products take over the
    marketplace, to themselves be replaced when implantable computing takes
    over.

    Tim McNamara, Apr 26, 2014
  8. Alan Browne

    Your Name Guest

    Most people have never really needed a computer as such. They want to
    be able to do simple tasks like send a few emails, visit a few
    websites, type up the occasional letter, etc. That's why a relatively
    cheap and easy to use tablet has become so popular.

    It's in the business world with real work being done where computers
    will stay for some time yet, but even then it will only be for those
    who do the real work while managers play on their tablets.

    Google Glass will never "take off". It's only nerds and geeks who want
    them because they think they're "cool" ... in reality they're useless
    rubbish that make people wearing them look incredibly stupid. Google is
    already working on a contact lens device instead, but that's likely to
    be just as unpopular (except perhaps with those silly enough to already
    poke things into their eyes).

    Even the current watch / bracelet devices look incredibly silly, as did
    the old Casio Calculator watches (and still do - last time I lookd
    Casio stil made them).

    Your Name, Apr 26, 2014
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The decline in Mac sales as shown is very mild. It's still a $20B+/year
    business for Apple (with nice margins). Nothing to sneeze as at all.

    Lack of growth doesn't consign these categories to niche. They've
    certainly plateau'd as mobile devices have risen. Offices, creatives -
    anywhere where you need to sit at a desk to work will require such for
    quite a while yet.

    OTOH, many office workers will be getting thin client computers for the
    basics of word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, and so on. Such
    computers cost ~200. Just add keyboard, mouse and screen. (And
    existing PC's can be re-purposed as thin clients as well).

    As to wearables, there's a long way to go. I certainly don't want to
    talk to a computer nor try to control one with eye gestures and blinks.
    The idea of a smartwatch has some appeal if well integrated to my
    phone or tablet.

    Alan Browne, Apr 26, 2014
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks for that clarification. That's exactly the point. "Fiscal Year
    End", "The same quarter last year" and such pablum in reports mask real
    trends.
    Nah? How could it be?

    Alan Browne, Apr 26, 2014
  11. Alan Browne

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Some jobs will require that kind of computing power, but most will be
    done on tablets via the cloud. My own job is trending in that direction
    technologically as we install an EHR (which will have upsides and more
    than a few significant downsides), all of which will be "in the cloud."
    Google Glass as it exists now is not the future, but points the way to
    the future: wearable, heads-up displays that are constantly with us.
    Once social media and interpersonal connectibility arrives (e.g., the
    killer app) it will take off and disrupt smartphones and tablets. The
    key thing will be subtle control- being able to use it without obviously
    using it.

    I agree about the current crop of smartwatches. They are not the
    future, they are a cul de sac on the road to the future. The best
    looking options were the various watchbands that converted an iPod Nano
    to a wrst contraption.

    Tim McNamara, Apr 26, 2014
  12. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    No such issues. I don't recall the specifics of what was updated or
    patched at the time, but that PC served hard and well through that period.

    Alan Browne, Apr 26, 2014
  13. Alan Browne

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Yeah, any hits Apple appears to be taking at the moment are peanuts
    compared to how bad the market is becoming for PCs in general.
    Depends how you define "niche". The popularity of laptops is/was an
    interesting point in time, when you needed mobile computing in a
    pre-mobile world. In the future, given the device landscape we see
    today, it will probably be the case that desktops have more staying
    power than laptops. People will still have computing needs that are
    localized enough for the desktop to make more sense than using a mobile
    device or cloud server. I wouldn't go so far as to call that a niche
    simply because a much larger market exists for mobile devices.
    That's being too optimistic. It's all about what people can *do* with a
    new technology. Glass doesn't appear to offer enough benefits compared
    to its drawbacks. Implantable is Sci-Fi. Whatever Apple might be
    working on for their next innovation will, like the iPhone, probably
    have a lot more to do with the software services than the hardware
    components.

    Doc O'Leary, Apr 26, 2014
  14. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Well put.

    Alan Browne, Apr 26, 2014
  15. Alan Browne

    John Albert Guest

    Unlikely.

    I sense there will always be another way to get the software
    one needs, even from "non-authorized" channels, if one so
    chooses.

    I have many gigabytes of music, not a single track was
    purchased via iTunes.
    I -do- buy from amazon.com -- just picked something up there
    yesterday.

    When the Apple Store lets me register so that I may look
    around without having to provide credit card info -first-,
    then I will register. Until that happens, I will never
    register...

    John Albert, Apr 26, 2014
  16. Alan Browne

    Your Name Guest

    Sure, if you want to "jailbreak" your devices and open them up to all
    sorts of malware ... but GateKeeper looks like it's heading towards a
    App Store only approach.

    Last time I chaecked (which was a while ago) you can look around the
    App and iTunes Stores as much as you like without registering. It's
    only when you want to buy something that you need to register ... just
    like Amazon, Book Depository, or any of a bazillion other webstores.

    Your Name, Apr 26, 2014
  17. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    Read again what you posted in the "Not that I recall" paragraph.

    You said that you were running a computer from 1998 to 1993. Clearly it
    must have had a problem if its clock went backwards five years in the
    time you were using it. :)

    David Empson, Apr 27, 2014
  18. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    I assume you meant "App Store' in that paragraph. (The "Apple Store" is
    either Apple's online store which lets you buy mostly physical products,
    or one of the physical retail stores run by Apple.)

    The iTunes Store, App Store and online Apple Store don't require you to
    register to "look around".

    The App Store also doesn't require you to provide credit card info to
    obtain free items (which includes upgrading to the latest OS X version,
    now that it is free). You can choose "None" as a payment method when you
    set up your account in the process of buying a free item.

    You don't even need to supply credit card info to buy non-free items
    from the App Store. You can buy an iTunes or App Store gift card in many
    retail outlets, redeem it on the App Store and use the credit balance
    for App Store purchases.

    Even without a credit card, to get anything from the App Store you do
    need an Apple ID, whch is linked to an e-mail address. It could be a
    newly created one on icloud.com rather than an existing e-mail address.
    You will also need to supply a name and address.

    David Empson, Apr 27, 2014
  19. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    read what you wrote.

    Guest, Apr 27, 2014
  20. Alan Browne

    Guest Guest

    there is no need to provide a credit card.

    you will be limited to free downloads, and should you want to buy
    something, you can use an itunes gift card, available pretty much
    anywhere.

    Guest, Apr 27, 2014