    Anyone tried Win XP on VMWare or Parallels with a 2GB system?

    Too slow, or just fine?

    Thanks

    Wes Groleau, Oct 21, 2009

  2. Wes Groleau

    Guest Guest

    and supports up to 4 gig
    you *really* want 4 gig (or more) if you plan on running vmware.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2009

  3. Wes Groleau

    Davoud Guest

    That's very subjective. I run VMWare on a 2.66GHz MB Pro with 4GB of
    RAM. Startup is slow and performance is mediocre. If I have serious
    work to do I boot XP Pro SP3 directly.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Oct 21, 2009
  4. I've run both of them on this 3-year-old iMac (2.1 GHz). I've got 2GB of
    ram on it. They do fine. Of course, it will depend heavily on exactly
    what kind of apps you are running. I once mad ethe mistake of trying to
    bring up Windows in VMWare while I was also playing WoW. I thought the
    machine had crashed. Nope, but just *VERY* slow.

    Richard Maine, Oct 21, 2009
  5. Wes Groleau

    Guest Guest

    i made the mistake of launching vmware with 1 gig when i first got an
    intel mac and before the extra memory arrived. not good at all. i
    vaguely recall it took a couple of minutes just to get it to quit.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2009
  6. Depending on age. My original MacBook (Core Duo - not C2D) maxes out at
    2 GB. Alas, I settle for BootCamp.

    In my experience it runs fairly with 3 GB. 2 is too small, though.

    Anders Eklöf, Oct 21, 2009
  7. Wes Groleau

    Guest Guest

    i was assuming he was referring to the latest macbook introduced
    yesterday.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2009
  8. When I got my 13" MBP I tried running VMWare with just the 2GB it came
    with and found it really sluggish switching between VMWare and Mac
    applications. Upgraded it to 4GB and it works like a charm.

    Blackjack Joe, Oct 22, 2009
  9. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    The spec sheets (and apple.com webpages) led me to believe one needed a
    "pro" to get past two gig.

    MB is for the wife, who will only do email, web surfing, and solitaire.

    But I thought that if I were to buy one, I should get something that
    allow me to do things for my employer in an after-hours emergency
    (if it doesn't cost too much extra).

    Wes Groleau, Oct 25, 2009
  10. Or just look at the online apple store, which shows a 4GB build-to-order
    option. You are probably just looking at the default configuations. The
    default configuration of the non-pro Macbook is 2GB, but that doesn't
    mean that is all it can take.

    If all you want is to make sure you can do things "in an after-hours
    epergency", I suspect the 2GB would be fine, since that presumably would
    not be regular use (unless you regularly have such emergencies, which I
    suppose could be). As I mentioned elsethread, I do run VMWare on this
    machine with only 2GB of memory. It works fine... and this 3-year-old
    iMac machine is slower than a new Macbook would be. I use VMWare on it
    almost every day, often booting up VMWare several times in a day (mostly
    to run Quickbooksm which I use in my business), and have for most of
    those 3 years. Don't let people snow you into thinking you have to have
    4GB. Tain't so for modest use. Sure it would be a problem if you were
    running multiple apps that particularly hogged memory, but you actually
    do have to evaluate the use; saying without qualification that you need
    4GB to run VMWare is just misleading.

    On the other hand, if you are getting a new machine, I'd advise going
    ahead and getting the 4GB anyway. It only adds $100 list price from
    Apple. Although Apple tends to overcharge for memory expansion, they
    don't overcharge by as much as they used to. To go to 4GB on that
    machine, because it has only 2 slots, you can't just buy a 2GB machine
    and then buy 2 more GB later. You'd have to buy 4GB later and toss (or
    sell or use elsewhere) the original 2 GB. Thus, you are probably ahead
    to buy the machine with 4GB in the first place. I haven't done the
    research to actually check with today's prices, but Apple's $100 to
    upgrade from 2GB to 4GB is not likely to be more than what it would cost
    you to upgrade after the fact.

    Richard Maine, Oct 25, 2009
  11. Wes Groleau

    David Guest

    Seems to me that instead of going that route using bootcamp could be the
    go. It definitely works fine with XP and 2 gigs - I use it for my TAFE
    work with Office 2007 and have no hassles

    David

    David, Oct 25, 2009
  12. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    What I was looking at was an Apple spec sheet that compared the macbook
    and two macbook Pros. On the Pros, one defaults to 4MB and the other
    explicitly said 2GB, (max 4GB). Since the white one said 2GB with no
    mention of higher, the impression given was that it wouldn't.
    Worth a thought--though for us it would be $200 because we can
    get a stock machine at a store that has a $100 discount.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 25, 2009
  13. If you buy a stock machine like that, you can usually do a lot better
    with memory upgrades from 3rd parties. Let's see... I didn't bother to
    actually look before because I was pretty sure that Apple wouldn't be
    more than a factor of 2 above the 3rd party vendors, which is what it
    would take to make 3rd party cheaper. But at $200 instead of $100,
    things are different. Looks like you can buy the needed ram chips for an
    upgrade at least somewhere close to $100. See, for example,
    <http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&mode
    l_id=-8897> (you need 2 of those). Or check some of the other vendors
    cited at <http://www.pcprices.net/ram.shtml>. I didn't take the time to
    check tham all.

    But those things you can easily do later. No need to commit now. You can
    buy the machine, try it for a while and decide then if you want the
    upgrade.

    $100 discount is quite good for a Macbook. Almost too good. Make sure
    you know the vendor well.

    Richard Maine, Oct 25, 2009
  14. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Academic discount. Campus store. Apparently Apple is
    allowing them to treat "on campus" as equivalent to
    "associated with"

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "Would the prodigal have gone home if
    the elder brother was running the farm?"
    -- James Jordan

    Wes Groleau, Oct 26, 2009
  15. I thought the academic discount was only $50 on that model. But maybe I
    have it confused. Not worth my checking. Yes, Apple is quite liberal
    with their criteria for academic pricing. I have only half-jokingly been
    known to describe it as "if you once knew someone who went to a school,
    then you are eligible." Yes, that's a slight exageration.

    Richard Maine, Oct 26, 2009
  16. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Oops, you're right. It's $100 for items over $1000 MSRP

    I could get the discount on a custom if I were to claim to still
    be a student. I do still have a campus e-mail. :)

    But I am not one of those whose ethics are "what I can get away with."

    My colleague is still a student there, and he ordered his custom.
    Got the discount on a lot of his changes, too, so ended up saving
    about $300 instead of the stock 100 on an MBP.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
    An optimist says the glass is half full.
    An engineer says somebody made the glass
    twice as big as it needed to be.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 26, 2009