Machine Check Exception BSOD's

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Shrink, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Shrink

    Shrink Guest

    Hey folks - out of nowhere my P4PE/P4 2.4 combo is having Machine Check
    Exception BSOD's in Windows XP. Here is some interesting reading on them:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

    They occur as soon as XP boots and started happening literally out of the
    blue
    Restoring a Ghost image from a week ago when this wasn't happening doesn't
    work - XP still BSOD's
    Underclocking the cpu doesn't work - XP still BSOD's
    Disabling L2 cache doesn't work - XP still BSOD's

    .... I have more testing of components to do tonight. However, I was able to
    restore a 10gb ghost image from my 120gb secondary master to the 160gb
    primary master with no problems. Similarly I could run ERD Commander 2002
    successfully of cdrom. The moment XP loads, however, the computer crashes.

    I suspect the ram gave up the ghost (512mb dimm of generic pc2700) after
    close to a year of use. However, it could also be the cpu which has been
    overclocked to 2.8 ghz at 1.75 volts.

    Has anyone had this error before? What was the cause in your case?

    Thanks!

    Shrink

    Shrink, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Shrink

    Mistoffolees Guest

    What exactly does the BSOD say...specifically the top 4 or so lines. With
    this information, someone just might take the time to decipher their meaning
    by looking through Chapter 13 of the Intel Architecture Software Developer's
    Manual, Volume 3. In the meantime, run the machine according to specs and
    swap out the RAM...try PC3200 with the CPU. Is the CPU a HT version?

    Mistoffolees, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Shrink

    Shrink Guest

    The codes were Machine Exception Check: 0X0000009C (00000000 805366F0
    CC0000FF 20040189)

    The CPU is a 2.4b (non HT)
    I am off today to have the ram checked (don't have another stick here) but
    swapped out the PSU last night to no avail in addition to removing all the
    cards and still had the problem.

    If someone could interpret the error code, i'd really appreciate it! I have
    learned about Machine Check Exceptions but haven't figured out how to read
    the code.

    Shrink

    Shrink, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Shrink

    Shrink Guest

    I went out and bought a P4P800 deluxe today, along with a gig of ram and a
    2.8C cpu. No crashes :D

    Shrink

    Shrink, Nov 21, 2003