Macraigor's GNU tools (ocdremote), OCDemon RAVEN & PowerPC target running on native Linux?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by bfroemel, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. bfroemel

    bfroemel Guest

    Hello,

    has anyone ever got this combination work on a native Linux box?
    Their Windows (cygwin) stuff on the other hand works very nicely.

    I prepared an old Linux RedHat 9.0 (2.4.20 kernel) distribution (on
    the
    very same machine where the Windows version of ocdremote works
    perfectly), so that their proprietary driver "ravenpp" would compile.
    The kernel modul loads, but after I run:

    ocdremote -c MPC55x

    The HOST LED on the Raven turns on (while on the Windows version it
    remains off). No error messages until I try to connect with cross
    compiled GDB 5.x - worst case: instant crash
    - "best case" no crash, but timeout and errors.

    I tried all parallel port modes (SPP, EPP, ECP, ECP+EPP) and several
    ocdremote versions
    (1.3, 2.0, 2.13, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 + latest).
    Macraigor is informed, but at times they are slow with repsonses or I
    and my problem are not big enough of a market value to justify an
    answer.

    Thanks for any hint or comment,
    Bernd

    bfroemel, Feb 18, 2007

  2. bfroemel

    bfroemel Guest

    Macraigor is informed, but at times they are slow with repsonses or I
    They replied that their Raven parallel port products are no longer
    supported under Linux. No comment about if it ever worked. Well, bad
    luck there... pity that they don't like open source and let me fix
    their Linux-support.

    Have a nice day,
    Bernd

    bfroemel, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Look for OpenOCD on http://openocd.berlios.de/web/, it is a hardware
    compatible open source project. Many other JTAG dongles already supported.
    I'm not sure about direct Linux support.

    Arie de Muynck

    Arie de Muynck, Feb 21, 2007
  4. bfroemel

    bfroemel Guest

    Look for OpenOCD onhttp://openocd.berlios.de/web/, it is a hardware
    Thanks for the pointer. I'am already there, ordered some cheap Amontec
    equipment(recommended by oocd), and will definitely take a deeper look
    into OpenOCD (currently ARM only). As far as I can see its just the
    perfect framework to add PowerPC.

    Concerning Macraigor's Raven: It's unlikely that it will ever be
    supported by any open source projects: the used parallel port protocol
    is as proprietary as their CPLD design within the Raven. Considering
    that Amontec sells a much cheaper customizable parallelport dongle
    (Chameleon) and provides a documented design which supposedly even
    beats the Raven in terms of speed: Ravens just can't get less
    interesting for me.

    Bernd

    bfroemel, Feb 22, 2007
  5. bfroemel

    linnix Guest

    Yes, we have OpenOCD running on Linux as gdb server for remote Window
    clients. We are using the FTDI 2232 USB interface and LMI ARM Cortex
    M3. JTAG is slow but SERIAL is fast (920K baud). We need a little
    bit more bandwidth, so looking into SPI (SCK, SDA).

    FTDI can JTAG or SPI at 5.6Mb/s, but M3 needs to divide it by 256.
    See: "jtag clock" thread.

    linnix, Feb 22, 2007
  6. bfroemel

    linnix Guest

    Here are the tools for Window client and Linux server for the LM3S811.

    http://linnix.com/ocd

    linnix, Feb 22, 2007