    the right javascript, I can chat. What is the real story please?
    Thanks much!
    Rick

    londonstimes, Dec 8, 2005

  2. All you need is Adium - supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber and more.

    <http:/www.adiumx.com>

    Chu

    Chu-En Ginsberg, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Told no-doubt by a Windows user who has absolutely no idea what's
    available for the Mac, other than "no software." He's absolutely
    incorrect.

    In addition to Adium (mentioned in the other reply so far), there are
    service-specific chat clients for all the major services:

    Yahoo Messenger: http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    AIM: http://www.aim.com/
    MSN: http://join.msn.com/messenger/overview/ (link near bottom of page)

    And if you're nervous about there not being enough software for the
    Mac, you shouldn't be. Here's a sampling:
    http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

    Games are really about the only area where the Mac lags. If you use
    your computer primarily for gaming, it probably isn't the best choice.
    (There are plenty of games, but the very newest stuff hits Windows
    first.) For everything else, there's a ton of software, and more
    *quality* software products for what you want to do. (And none of the
    awful stuff, like spyware.)

    Come on over!

    Garner Miller, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Indeed!

    Had a friend at work come to me yesterday. "My 2GHz (Windows) laptop
    is running really slow. I tried cleaning it out, but it's still
    super-slow. Can you help? I hear you're good with computers..."

    The first question, of course: "You use Internet Explorer, don't you?"

    "Well...yeah. What else is there?"

    The education began. I gave him links to the two reliable spyware
    removers I know about, and the link to http://www.getfirefox.com/ to
    help try to prevent this in the future. And a reminder that stuff like
    this is one of many reasons I stick with the Mac OS.

    He looked at me like I have two heads when I told him I don't have
    antivirus software, because there aren't (yet) any viruses for the Mac.

    "Don't you think somebody will write one?"

    "Some day, maybe. But it doesn't look likely right now The Mac
    doesn't just allow software to be installed without your knowledge..."

    Hopefully he'll come around. :)

    Oh, how I wish Apple would spend some of that iPod advertising money to
    explain this to consumers on TV. Picture it:

    [College dorm room. Night time. One roommate is putting together a
    DVD project on his iMac. The other one's banging on the keyboard of
    his Dell laptop.]

    "What wrong, Bill?"

    "My computer's slowed down. Spyware -- AGAIN. And I'm having to eat
    ramen noodles again because my last $30 went to the antivirus people.
    Ah, well, I guess that's just part of having a computer."

    "I guess..." He shrugs his shoulders, and slips in a movie on the
    iMac, and leans back in his chair with its remote control.

    "Why don't I ever see you maintaining your computer? You know, doing
    virus scans and stuff?"

    "I don't need to. It's a Macintosh. It protects me from all that
    stuff by design."

    [Cut back to Bill's computer, which just went blue-screen...]

    "Awww, man, not again...."

    [Fade to Apple logo... "Visit Apple.com, or the Apple Retail Store near
    you..."]

    I think it'd sell a ton of computers to people sick of dealing with the
    hassles.

    Garner Miller, Dec 8, 2005
  5.
    Alastair.geek.nz, Dec 9, 2005