Magnetic Card Reader help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rootx11, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. rootx11

    rootx11 Guest

    I just bought 2 magnetic card readers. I got them from the site
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=367&type=store

    The models which I purchased are the MCR-7 and the MCR-10.

    I have a few questions.

    First, is there any documentation out there on how magnetic card
    readers work? Any kind of documentation would be helpful, preferably
    on the way data is encoded on to the card itself, what kind of ASCII
    characters are read off of the card, and the like.

    Second, is there any existing software out there? These hook up to a
    RJ-11 jack (stnadard modem) If there is no existing software, or no
    one knows of any, I will be running on Unix (FreeBSD to be specific)
    and am going to read() off of the modem serial device file itself.
    Does anyone have any experience in that, or could give me a heads up?
    Anything would be appreciated.

    Please reply to or

    Thanks a lot

    - Farhan

    rootx11, Feb 9, 2004

  2. rootx11

    Mad Jesuit Guest

    Question 1: Which manufacturer?

    Question 2: Which format(s) do they support?

    You will probably be better off looking for the manufacturer's
    documentation.
    That will tell you what you need to know about what the readers support and
    how to hook them up. Should also help point you in the right direction
    toward
    finding software.

    ---The Mad Jesuit

    Mad Jesuit, Feb 9, 2004

  3. rootx11

    Dave Stanton Guest

    No, post here, read here !!
    Yes there is stuff out there, tons in fact. Something called Google finds
    lots.

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Feb 9, 2004
  4. rootx11

    Keith Lehman Guest

    Most readers can be attached to a standard terminal program.

    -Keith Lehman

    Keith Lehman, Feb 9, 2004
  5. rootx11

    TheWanderer Guest

    Why would ANYONE buy something before they know anything about it?

    Need any ocean front property in Arizona??

    TheWanderer, Feb 10, 2004
  6. rootx11

    rte Guest

    Google... for a cheaper deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

    HTH :>)

    rte, Feb 10, 2004