    I've tried all modes of the input area, tried shutting it off, tried
    shutting the thing off machine-wide through prefs, but I still get a mess.

    Has anyone encountered something like this?

    Peter, May 24, 2005

  2. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    I haven't used such a program on my Tablets, but it really should be no
    different than any other Windows XP Pro computer, Peter. Are you running in
    the default Landscape orientation? Some programs simply don't like being
    turned on their sides or heads. :cool: I'd also check to make sure you've got
    the latest graphics driver installed, if you're seeing garbled results.

    Chris H., May 24, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hmmm...thanks for the suggestion - I tried it in landscape, but no change.

    The reader is a simple, driverless ASCII input device, and I still
    suspect that the tablet, not being made for use with a traditional
    keyboard, does something funny with the text that will be painfully
    obvious when I figure it out :-\

    Thanks anyway, Chris!

    Peter, May 24, 2005
  4. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    All Tablets can use keyboards, Peter. It just depends whether or not you
    obtain one if you have a Slate model. Motion Computing, for instance, sells
    a clip-on model with their Slates and they work just fine. I've used
    wireless keyboard/mouse with a Motion 1300 and an early Fujitsu model.
    Tablet PCs are Windows XP Pro as the operating system, and run the Tablet PC
    Edition bits as a "superset" on top of that.

    Chris H., May 24, 2005
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I know, I have a keyboard for the one I'm using...but nevertheless,
    there is a tablet-specific layer doing *something* to the text that
    isn't happening on my desktops or laptop.

    The card reader works flawlessly in safe mode, but unfortunately the
    safemode graphics aren't sufficient to what we're trying to do here.

    I'll post updates, but nobody need feel compelled to answer; it's mostly
    so that if I find a solution, or partial one, future people can
    googlegroup the answer up.

    Thanks again for the suggestions, Chris, I guess now I just start
    killing services one by one until the card reader works....

    Peter, May 24, 2005
  6. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    Which machine do you have, Peter, and what drivers are you running for
    graphics?

    Chris H., May 24, 2005
  7. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I'm working with a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5010

    Display adapter is "Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller"

    Driver provider = Intel Corporation
    Driver version = 6.14.10.3553
    Driver date = 6/13/2003

    Peter, May 25, 2005
  8. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., May 25, 2005
  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Ah well, same old problem, back to the trial and error of shutting
    services and processes...but thanks for the suggestions, Chris!

    Peter, May 25, 2005
  10. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    Drat! Happy hunting. :cool:

    Chris H., May 25, 2005
  11. Peter

    Blaine Guest

    Hi Peter,

    I might be able to help.

    1. What reader is it (i.e., Magtek, AMSI, Semtek, etc.)?
    2. What are the baud settings for communications?
    3. How are you hooking it up (i.e., BT, USB, USB-to-Serial Adaptor,
    Keyboard piggyback,etc.)?
    4. Have you tried a two track or one track card (i.e., credit card) with
    same results?

    Blaine
    Visit the home of Tablet Calender: www.comcul.com

    -------------------------------
    :

    I have a three-line magstripe reader I want to use to read ID badges.

    It works just great in any app on a "regular" windows machine, but on
    the tablet it not only garbles the information, it does it differently
    with each successive swipe of the card!

    The problem exists in notepad, and is much worse in the Infopath
    document I want to use this thing with. Possibly some of the characters
    in the data from the card are treated as some kind of escape sequence.

    Blaine, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Peter

    mlong Guest

    Peter,

    We are experiencing the same issue. Have you found a resolution?

    Michele

    mlong, Jan 10, 2008