    The count, either incoming or outgoing, is extravagantly different from
    the intended and supposed activity.

    Any ideas?

    gtr, Nov 20, 2013

  2. gtr

    billy Guest

    In my case when fetching it's mail going into other folders.
    Don't know what's up with sending, though.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Nov 20, 2013

  3. gtr

    gtr Guest

    No, I'm really not sending or receiving any such mail-count, secondary
    folders included.

    gtr, Nov 21, 2013
  4. gtr

    John Varela Guest

    Do you have spam filters set up? If so, then you may actually be
    receiving the higher number of emails. If your spam filter is
    sending some of the emails directly to Trash you'll never see them
    in the inbox.

    John Varela, Nov 21, 2013
  5. gtr

    billy Guest

    I've been watching it more closely today. If I received 39 messages
    when first starting the program, then when one more arrives later, it
    then says receiving number 40. Maybe this is it...?

    Billy Y..

    billy, Nov 21, 2013
  6. gtr

    gtr Guest

    I have SpamSieve installed, but have no spam filters operable via the
    Mail app proper. Still, that doesn't account for the unusual outgoing
    numbers. I assumed that find out what was going on with one would
    answer the other.

    gtr, Nov 21, 2013
  7. gtr

    gtr Guest

    Interestings. Perhaps it's providing a total count during the session.
    Now that I've *finally* gotten out of the habit of endlessly running
    and quitting programs on the computer, and am instead leaving
    everything I generally use operative, that might make sense. The
    numbers could get very large between the ever-more-rare reboot.

    gtr, Nov 21, 2013
  8. gtr

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I don't believe e-mails in the trash or junk folders get counted.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Guidelines for judging others:
    1. Don't attribute to malice that which
    can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
    can be adequately explained by ignorance.
    3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
    can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.
    4. Don't attribute to misunderstanding that which
    can be adequately explained by alcohol.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 22, 2013
  9. gtr

    gtr Guest

    THE ANSWER:

    The number of received emails and outgoing emails increments in that
    report for every income/outgo loop you go through while the program is
    running. Quit the program and the next incoming will be 1 of 1 and the
    next outgoint will be 1 of 1. And then it starts upping the count
    until the next time you quit.

    What purpose this method serves, i can't say.

    gtr, Nov 22, 2013
  10. gtr

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the 'new' badge.

    Sounds like you are talking about some "report" I never knew of that was
    intended to show you what you have done this session.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 23, 2013
  11. The pane, named "Mail activity", located below the folders list shows
    this information dynamically.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 23, 2013
  12. gtr

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Ah. Well, obviously it is intended to monitor one session.

    Well, at least that is what it is obviously doing.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
    But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
    is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

    Wes Groleau, Nov 23, 2013
  13. gtr

    gtr Guest

    It's nice to a complete and satisfying answer to a nebulous curiousity.
    And novel as well.

    gtr, Nov 23, 2013
  14. gtr

    Paul Sture Guest

    There's also a separate Activity window available from the Window menu.

    The shortcut for that is shown as alt-cmd-O (I think that's the letter
    O - alt-cmd-zero magnifies the screen here) but it does nothing here.

    Paul Sture, Nov 24, 2013
  15. It's the number zero; you must have reassigned it somehow.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 24, 2013