Mail.app won't import mbox file properly

Discussion in 'Apple' started by flarosa, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. flarosa

    flarosa Guest

    I have what I believe to be a valid mbox file. I created it from a
    series of .eml files using a Ruby script called eml2mbox.rb.

    When I try to import the mbox file into Apple Mail, what I end up with
    is one gigantic message containing all the messages that were in the
    mbox file appended together, instead of a separate email message for
    each entry.

    I've examined the mbox file with the od command and it seems valid;
    there are blank lines separating each message, and no stray ^M
    characters or anything else that looks weird. The text of the messages
    looks perfectly normal in Mail other than that all the messages are
    appended together.

    Does anyone know what could cause this and how I might fix it?

    Thanks,
    Frank

    flarosa, Sep 7, 2009

  2. flarosa

    flarosa Guest

    Found the problem. Apple Mail doesn't recognize the timezone indicator
    which appears as the last thing on the From line. Removing this from
    all the From lines solved the problem.

    flarosa, Sep 7, 2009