    behavior using CMD+O or the pulldown menu. Any ideas would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Mel Comisarow

    Mel Comisarow, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Mel Comisarow

    matt neuburg Guest

    The crash log might contain a clue.

    m.

    matt neuburg, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Than you. Here's the entry in the crash log --
    Mail[2806] Unable to load nib file: MailViewer, exiting
    What do I do now?

    Mel Comisarow, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Mel Comisarow

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Did you run the Disk Utility and repair permissions before doing your
    update? That's thought to be a good idea, which I have followed
    simply because it doesn't seem like it can hurt, and thus far have had
    no bad outcomes with OS updates from 10.0.3 up to 10.3.7. You could
    try running Disk Utility now and seeing if this helps- it's sorted
    out a few application weirdnesses for me in the past.

    Tim McNamara, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Mel Comisarow

    matt neuburg Guest

    Had you moved Mail.app from out of the Applications folder to somewhere
    else? m.

    matt neuburg, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Yes. I moved it into an "Internet programs" folder inside the
    Applications folder. Why should this matter? Thanks.

    Mel Comisarow, Jan 16, 2005
  7. Yes, I previously ran Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro. But the problem
    persists.

    Mel Comisarow, Jan 16, 2005
  8. Mel Comisarow

    Alwyn Guest

    Because Apple's updaters tend to assume that they are still in
    /Applications, and they try to update the program in that position.

    As a rule of thumb, never move programs installed by Apple to a new
    location.

    Alwyn

    Alwyn, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Mel Comisarow

    matt neuburg Guest

    There you go. Problem solved. You've hosed Mail.app - you moved it and
    so it got incorrectly updated.

    Simplest fix: reinstall the system and update again.

    More complex fix: use Pacifist to extract Mail.app from the installer
    disk - but the problem with that is that it then won't be up to date and
    you have no way to update it.

    Lesson: Don't move Apple's stuff. If you want access to it from
    elsewhere, put an alias to it elsewhere; that's what aliases are for. If
    you don't know what's safe to move and what's not, do not log in as an
    admin user. Hope this helps - m.

    matt neuburg, Jan 16, 2005