    the extra price buy you when you choose a Latitude ?

    If durability and reliability is important, should one go for an
    Latitude with shorter warranty, or an Inspiron with a longer warranty ?

    Jack, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Jack

    S.Lewis Guest

    How is the laptop to be used? Inspiron is meant more as a
    multimedia/consumer machine while Latitude is aimed at corporate users.

    At one time Latitudes came with a longer default warranty, but also cost
    more. Their cases are generally more durable than Inspiron, but the "guts"
    of the systems are similar across model levels - though Inspiron will have
    more options for 'bells and whistles'.

    Get two years minimum onsite warranty for either.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Jack

    RRR_News Guest

    I would also recommend to get the "AccidentelCare" service also, for the length of the warranty that you purchase. It will be worth it, especially if there is a slippery coffee cup nearby.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Jack

    Markeau Guest

    IIRC More testing goes into the Latitude for corporate-type functions
    including, but not limited to, remote network management, etc.

    Markeau, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Jack

    Jack Guest

    " How is the laptop to be used?"

    They will be used in an education / research setting. They will be the
    desktop replacement / only computer for the researchers, who use them 8
    hours a day and who travel to class / conferences about 10% of their
    time.

    One of you mentioned that the electronic components are similar, so I
    guess if travelling is not as heavy as business users, Inspiron will be
    okay, no ?

    Regarding warranty we will definitely go for the best we can afford.
    But we want to decide whether it is worthy the money to go for the
    Latitude line instead of Inspiron.

    I heard that customer service can be different depends on what you buy,
    is that correct ?

    Thanks again for everyone who have answered my question.

    Jack, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Jack

    Rich Guest

    jack,

    durability and reliability WERE primary factors for me. my D810 is
    primarily used in our motorhome. it sits on the dash for GPS when
    we're driving and i wanted a laptop that could withstand that type of
    service. prior to my retirement we had been using latitudes at work
    and i was impressed with their construction as well as their features
    (the latitude offered a serial port and a mouse button).

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Nov 4, 2005
  7. And, if reliability is important, get (or have) a second harddrive with an
    always up-to-date image... :) Or use something like MirrorFolder to run a
    "software RAID".

    Gerhard

    Gerhard Fiedler, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Jack

    Rich Guest

    absolutely! i have an external hard drive that always has an
    up-to-date image backup of all of the partitions of the internal hard
    drive.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Nov 4, 2005
  9. As you can imagine, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in this
    group (I recall the thread "Latitude vs.Inspiron" from the end of
    September). You have already touched on the main difference, tougher
    exterier components for better durability & reliability. Latitudes tend
    to have long shelf lives (in that if you were a business and by the
    machine now, you can be fairly sure in 2-3 years you can still by the
    model). Latitudes ordered from the small business section come with a
    base 3 year mail in base warranty (covers parts, etc.) as well as the
    option to have your Windows XP install CD shipped.

    Nicholas Andrade, Nov 5, 2005