    Elsa 64 HB video display card

    Thanks for any advice -

    Jdr

    McGregor, Jul 19, 2008

  2. McGregor

    Paul Guest

    A review of sorts here, with pictures. S370, VIA 694X/686A.

    http://www.hardware-one.com/print_review.asp?reviews=144

    These are the capacitors near the CPU socket. Usually split
    in two groups, one group for input filtering, the other for
    output filtering, on the switching Vcore regulator. Vcore
    powers the processor, and is converted from +5V or +12V,
    depending on generation of motherboard.

    http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/msi6309/images/capacitor.jpg

    The first thing I'd check, based on your symptom description,
    is bad capacitors. This is an example of some bulging and leaking
    capacitors. When they bulge and leak, it makes it hard for
    the Vcore regulator to maintain output power level, especially
    during power peaks.

    http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/kt7/image004.png

    The tops can bulge. The lines cut in the top, are for pressure
    relief and safety. The lines open, before the pressure becomes
    too great. The bottom of the cap has a rubber seal, and the
    seal can also blow out. A brown liquid can drool onto the
    motherboard, and the liquid will eventually dry leaving a
    brown stain. That would be evidence of capacitor failure.

    So start with a visual inspection. If the caps are failing,
    and have not caused collateral damage, the caps can be replaced.
    My main problem with that strategy, is finding good replacements.
    And a good replacement doesn't mean overengineering either,
    as replacing the caps with OSCONs may not be appropriate either.
    Some of those Vcore designs rely on the characteristics of the
    components they chose, meaning the design might not end up
    centered very well, if a super-expensive (non-electrolytic)
    replacement cap was used. Sometimes the necessary information,
    on capacitor selection, is present in the Vcore regulator chip
    datasheet.

    Examples of parts kits here. The last time I tried looking on some
    of the popular electronics sites, like Mouser and Digikey, I didn't
    really see anything I liked.

    http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=21

    If bad capacitors are left operating long enough, other
    components in the circuit can be damaged. In that case,
    the MOSFETs can fail, or the toroids burned. And that makes
    repair a lot more difficult. The board would fail to POST if
    that happened.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 19, 2008

  3. McGregor

    Paul Guest

    Another frequent cause of problems, is a failing power supply.

    You can use the "Hardware Monitor" page in the BIOS, as a
    primitive means of evaluating things.

    http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/msi6309/images/BIOScpu.jpg

    In that list, the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V come straight from the
    power supply. The Vcore and 2.5V are derived voltages (and
    I cannot honestly say what the 2.5V is for in this case -
    I thought the RAM on the board uses 3.3V).

    You want the three power supply voltages (3.3/5/12), to be
    within 5% of the nominal value. The resolution of the measurement
    chip is limited, and what is displayed is the time average
    of the readings. There will be some moment to moment variation,
    and that is normal and nothing to worry about. What you're looking
    for, is the thing leaning by more than 5% from the idea value.
    So if 12V read out as 11.4V, you'd be a bit more curious.

    The whole story cannot be detected that way, because you
    cannot observe the voltages on that screen, while the OS
    installation is under way. A multimeter set to volts, is
    one way to do it. Or hearing, smelling, or seeing an issue
    with the power supply, is another way.

    For example, on my oldest supply, I started to hear moment
    to moment sound pitch variations in the cooling fan. Which is
    an indication that there is more output variation in the 12V
    rail on the power supply, than there used to be. So sometimes,
    the power supply may give hints that it isn't happy.

    Swapping the supply, is the least technically taxing workaround,
    but at least one visitor to the forums, would insist on the
    use of a multimeter :) I'm a fan of "whatever works for ya".
    Especially so, if you have a spare power supply that is in
    a known working condition.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 19, 2008
  4. McGregor

    \007\ Guest

    Thank you Paul for your help.

    As a matter of fact I tried a lot of
    things with this main board. I bought it as a new and kept it for
    some time not used. It is design for win 98- 2K and Win NT
    back in July 2000. I don't see any bad capacitors or any
    physical damage on the surface. But I'll take all your hints
    into consideration when "playing with it" from now on.

    As for PSU I suspected it from the beginning, swapped it
    and it works fine with other GA mo/bo or MS 6178.
    So, it should be OK. It might be the BIOS setting as I
    suspect that some one may tempered with it
    before.

    Thanks for you helping both cases. That will keep me
    going for a while. I'll POST the results as they occur.

    Regards -
    Jdr

    \007\, Jul 19, 2008
  5. McGregor

    Hornowski Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Following your advice I meticulously examined mainboard
    and swapped PSU - ( which works perfect with Supermicro
    P6DBE Pent III 2xCPU 850 MHz) - So it must be then
    mainboard fault. But where?
    I am determined to make this mo/bo work. It might take some
    time but I'll do my best and what I can.

    I'd apreciate any former use of MS-6309 to share with me their
    experience.
    Thanks Paul and regards -

    Jdr

    Hornowski, Jul 22, 2008
  6. McGregor

    \007\ Guest

    Hi Paul, again... after spending some time comparing the
    top of these 5 capacitors finally I can say that they ARE
    bulged at the top slightly. Now, the only thing left is to see
    whether they can be obtained separately from somewhere.

    Thanks for your help again.
    Jdr

    \007\, Jul 22, 2008