    So my other question is, Will I notice a major difference between the
    two for the purposes stated above. If not I prefer to save a little
    dough and get the 9700pro.

    Ray Porier, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Ray Porier

    Debug Guest

    No big difference, 9800pro is a little faster is the main difference.

    Debug, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Ray Porier

    J. Clarke Guest

    The major difference is a rather technical one involving the design of the
    pixel shader--ATI changed the design in the 9800 to provide a feature that
    nvidia had been bragging about their boards having.

    From a practical viewpoint, the 9800 is slightly faster and that's about
    all. For TV capture and NLE you aren't going to see any difference at all.

    J. Clarke, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Not gaming? perceptible performance, not much. if you spent 12-16 hours
    a day working on it, you might lose an hour a week :) Couple percentage
    either way, but the chipset is the same for TV on both.

    I cant speak to any differences in DVI output, as I use a CRT monitor,
    and use the converter.
    Save a little dough :) I have the AIW9700Pro and I'm quite happy with
    its performance, I do a fair amount of Photoshop/Premeire on this card,
    and a fair bit of gaming (ut2004 kicks ass), and overall, I dont see the
    major point in spending that much extra to get a 9800, if anything I
    might look into getting another PCI Matrox to run a second monitor, not
    that the ATI 2D is lacking, but they've obviously spent more time
    working on 3D enhancements than on 2D.

    Philip Callan, Mar 5, 2004