Major PC hardware failure

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    Greetings,

    I built a pc around Pentium cpu, Intel D865GVHZ board, Antec case/PS back in '06.
    Have been running it about 16 hours/day ever since.

    Whilst running a backup Sunday, I heard a constant little tic-tic, tic-tic,
    tic-tic sound, looked down to find Speedfan registered about 74 C., then watched
    the W2k system crash.

    I immediately suspected a cpu fan failure, but all fans were running when I checked.
    I've now replaced the cpu fan/heat-sink and the power supply.

    The system gives the following message:

    "The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
    Service the unit right away to resolve this"

    and soon shuts down all power.

    I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
    Any/all help would be much appreciated.

    TIA,
    Puddin'

    Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011

  2. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Check out this posting:

    CPU was shutdown due to a thermal event (Overheating) - GIDForums
    "The problem was with the power pin connecting to the motherboard.
    It was not proper, and is too hot, which caused all these problems."
    http://www.gidforums.com/t-8183.html

    It seems perhaps the power supply was faulty.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 7, 2011

  3. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I noticed that post last night.

    I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.

    How to reset Vcore???

    Thanks,

    Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011
  4. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Perhaps it's a contact on the motherboard itself? Maybe a soldier broke
    and lost contact?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 8, 2011
  5. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
    Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

    Thx,

    Puddin' Man, Apr 19, 2011
  6. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 20, 2011
  7. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    The 1st (original) PSU.

    The board wouldn't power with a replacement PSU.

    The system is dead, kaput, und Pues Muerta!

    But I recovered 95+% of my data.

    Puddin' Man, Jun 7, 2011